Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by Puck, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - 8.0

Omg, omg, my feels, my feels, my feels can't handle this!

But seriously, it's about a 8 year old German boy who's father is a Nazi and they move to a house that's close to a concentration camp. The boy thinks the camp is a farm and has no idea what "really" goes on in there. Having left all his friends, bored and lonely and dying to make new friends, one day he sneaks off to the camp and outside the fence he meets one of the Jewish prisoners, also 8 years old, and they befriend each other. The movie is beautifully directed because, the beauty is shown beyond just a German befriending a Jew, and that is exploiting the innocence of childhood.

2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

that part was sad. :truedat:

Anyone ever watched the series "Luther" - it's on Netflix, check it out. I'm hooked.

3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I tear up like a sissy in a lot of movies, but I can't say I cry like a b*tch. haha

It's all good though... you're man enough to admit it.

4. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Well.. I was alone and it hit me at the right time so I didn't care.. if I was with others it probably wouldn't have had as much impact.. it'd be like TE-mode.

5. GeronimoJackson

Finally saw Pan's Labyrinth for the first time.

Starts off slow and takes a bit of time for it get going, but once it does, it's one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen, visually, story telling, performances and the score.

One of the few hyped up Academy movies that has left me satisfied.

9/10

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Duuuuuude

Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorite movies of all time.

7. XO

XO Nevada Native

In my top 10.

Spoilers...

A film worth discussing. The events in the film can be interpreted multiple ways.

Was she escaping into a fantasy world or her own head?
    Were the supernatural events real or were they the delusions of a young girl surrounded by war, abuse, death and violence?

The latter makes the ending extra depressing.

There is also a lot of occult symbolism.
    The eye she places in the statue at the beginning to the task given to her by the faun.
    The captain = represents cronos
    It goes on and on.
    It is a thread on its own.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Started Pan's once but got distracted and never got back to it. It's on the list though.

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

It really is, it was a film I wanted to bring up in the Taboo thread, but we see how that went.

10. GeronimoJackson

^^ There are plenty of beautiful movies that are gorgeous to look at but Pan's was really moving and one that will stick with me, and even 20 years from now I will recommend.

And to answer your question, Tennessy XO

Ending spoilers...

You can make arguments for both, I think it really is for the viewers to decide but without feeling like a cop out, it is one of those open endings that I'm glad is an open ending.

The way she was able to find her way to certain places (with the chalk) and the ending narration about her leaving clues behind for her time on earth and those who know where to look will find them, says the fantasy world was real.

And obviously because she was the only one that can see the Faun.

But then you can make counter arguments for both, like the first, you can say well for her clues left behind, maybe what the narrator meant was the girl was based off a famous urban legend and "for those who know where to look" are the other little girls who believe in the story and will chase after it, and her "clues" are just things anyone could say existed in the fairy tale. As for her ability her to get to certain places and the magic chalk, like her step dad's office without getting caught, well you could say she had a strong imagination and things just happen like that in movies lol.

As for her being the only one that can see the Faun, you could also make the argument that he was real and only "immortals" are granted the gift to see them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar