Munch Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Two Kings, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

He wasn't the best HC by any means, but he still did a lot for this organization and team for decades. I know we are happy he is gone but I also wanted to be respectful and give a shout out to an amazing member of the Oilers/Titans.

I hope the best for him and his family/friends.

During the 1982 NFL Draft, Munchak was chosen as the Houston Oilers' first round draft pick (8th overall), making him the first offensive lineman drafted that year. In his rookie season, he quickly earned a starting position at the left guard position. He remained in that position for 12 seasons. During that time he garnered nine Pro-Bowl nominations, four All-Pro, Nine Second Team All-Pro, seven All-AFC, and four second team All-Pro selections. In addition he was selected for the 1980s All-Decade Team. Munchak's 12-year tenure tied for second most seasons played with the Houston Oilers.

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 4
  2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Sad how it turned out, should have never been promoted in the first place.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Never will I ever say anything bad about Munch as a person, but he just wasn't suited for the HC job.

I wish him the best in whatever he does. Wish he could be our OL coach, but that just won't happen.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

Agreed completely. It was a mistake from the get go and a ripple of the Bud/ Fisher era. I am so excited that his is actually the first real fresh start we have had!

Truly a NEW era

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I appreciate his playing career and his work as OL coach for the Tennessee Titans. After that is when it all went to crap. :)

I do wish him the best going forward. I'm pulling for him to get that Penn State job because I REALLY do not want him coaching up the OL for another NFL team we will have to play someday.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

How long until Fisher scoops him up in St Louis?

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

He had a lot go against him.

He was hired late which limited his coordinator choices. He drafted a QB who couldn't stay on the field. I'm not making excuses for him but he's had three QBs, two OCs and two GMs in just three seasons.

I wish him the best. Someone will have him coaching their OL if he wants it. I suspect he and Bruce will shift back to their business at some point.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Yep. I am more excited than I've been in awhile. Not because Munch was fired. But because as you said it's truly a new era for this team. New ownership. New head coach. New QB (most likely). Exciting times.

9. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

The late hire thing is legitimate. It indeed limited his choices. But he should've called a spade a spade and moved on after year one. He stuck with Palmer too long then made an extremely weak replacement hire when he did finally cut ties. As for Gray, I think we all know that guy was in over his head all along.

You're right that Munch had a lot going against him early on. But I think he has a bit of that Fisher loyalty/stubbornness and it came back to bite him at the end of the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar