Munch firing changes Pollard was looking for?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Keystone27, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

I'm sure that loathsome tone had nothing to do with how you were received.

Noob.

2. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

The only people who wanted Munch gone, were fans. Players like him. TS and RW tried to extend him. The only people who had a problem with Munch, are fans who blame him for everything.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Sounds a lot like Pollard had some issues with the whole Grey/Williams thing (and probably the anaemic offense).

I don't think he would agree with the MM firing, but I don't think it will be a reason for him to leave.

4. TitanBlazer

TitanBlazer Starter

I honestly think the players loved Munch and played hard for him. I never got the sense that the team quit playing for him or wanted him out. I just think we lacked the right X & O guys to coach them up. I've witnessed Titan football where the players quit and that wasn't what happened this year.

5. Fairweather Fan

Fairweather Fan Pro Bowler

Being from AZ, do you have any thoughts on Whisenhunt? Not trying to hijack the thread, just couldn't help my curiosity.

6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I don't think that's totally true. If TS and RW really believed in Munch and what he was doing then they would've extended him, no strings attached. By applying so many conditions to his return/extension they were effectively saying that what he's been doing wasn't working and they wanted to take a new path. I think their respect/admiration for Munchak, as well as his 32 year tenure with the organization, really played a big part in even wanting to keep him around.

Let's say Munch was an out of house hire. Let's say he was a HoF OLman/OL coach for the Washington Redskins. Do you think he would've been offered an extension under these same circumstances? The terrible record against winning teams. The terrible record in the division. The penchant for losing to truly awful teams. Of course we have no way to know for sure but I highly doubt it.

7. Keystone27

Keystone27 Starter

To be honest I'm pretty unsure of whisenhunt. He came into az and although being an offensive minded guy but it was the cards d that really got turned around and that was a product of Horton. The biggest knock I have on whisenhunt is he was a total bust with developing Leinart, and the Super Bowl everyone refers him too they benched Leinart and low and behold had Kurt Warner as the backup. Warner had Fitz, Boldin, and Breaston (who played way over his head, but that's what a guy like Warner brought out of him) to throw too and a up and coming defense...all in all didn't do much as a HC to warrant me drooling to have him for Tennessee.

8. Alzarius

I know that Ive stated some of this before, and fully admit i could be wrong and I know you have read some of this but....

To be completely honest Sawdust, even if Munch was an out of house hire, I still wouldnt have been blasting him.

I "generally" try to look at things very analytically and objectively. The problems I saw this year, were player problems. I watched closely, and even went through some game logs afterwords and its pretty clear that players lost most of our games this season, and not coaching. When I look at why I was ok with Munch being fired.. it came down to something simple for me. A new name. I want one of those "sexy" coaches and want to see how it works out. People want an X's and O's guy. Well then an OC or DC is perfect for them. This team played hard for Munch.

I am under the impression that a motivator is fine for a head coach, as long as the DC and OC know what they are doing. (yes, people disagree) Defense started off well, but we need a MLB and a pass rusher, period. (Fokou made me look stupid when he returned.. so ****em) Offense was in EVERY game but one, with a first year coordinator, a bad line, no running game, and no QB other than a career anti clutch QB. That tells me the coaches had them in position to win games, but the players fumbled/dropped/pissed the games away. (and I am well aware that people disagree with this)

I am going to pull from one of the biggest arguments. Losing to the Jags.

In that game, Locker/Fitz combined for almost 300 yards passing, 2 TD's, 1 int.

Henne? 180 yards and 2 ints

MJD? 21 carries for 41 yards.

We won TOP. This is a game that on paper, you cant even fathom why we lost. Maybe it was the 5 (or was it 6) turnovers. You cant win a game with 6 (or even 5) turnovers. We dominated them in every aspect fo that game, but we kept turning the ball over. THen everyone started with the "Munch didnt have the team prepared" (Maybe he should have had glue gloves or some kind of ****???) But the Munch hate train was already rolling and it was just one more added cart.

His 3-4000 record against winning teams? Well, they were winning teams, with better rosters (and yes, better coaches) than us. The staff spent a LOT of money last season to improve that because they realized it was a major problem too. The 9-7 year gave this fanbase false hopes because we played a weak schedule, and had a QB that helped us win games. (noodle arm was not horrible that year)

All of this sounds like excuses, and I understand that and yes, they can easily be considered excuses. However in my opinion (and yes its just an opinion), I dont consider Munch a bad coach at all. Definitely not a great one, but he had the players playing hard even when the games meant absolutely nothing.

The reason I didnt dislike Munch had nothing to do with him being in house, or what he did or how long he has been with this franchise. Its just my, very amateur, opinion of this team.

Next year, we get ..... ffs... Locker back who can be a game manager who doesnt turn the ball over. We will have 20+ million in cap space to sign FA's and keep our core together. We will have 2 high draft picks.

Whatever the coach comes in and does next season, he will be doing with what Munch/Webster has built already (and honestly, its Webster so there will not be much of a change there)

yes, its probable that someone else can come in and be better at x's and o's than Loggains was, but I really do believe the guy did a good job (running play calls were not good the first quarter, but they improved)

The only reason that I am excited about a new coach, is all we have had was Fisher (great at first, then the talent went away) and Munch. Its really cool that we are out there searching for a whole new staff. I just hope the results are improvement because we have seen OC's and DC's completely flop as coaches. I want the right guys to be hired. I have no problem with the special teams coach being the HC as long as we get the right OC and DC. (and I am one of the few that would like to have Loggains back)

I also believe the TS thing was a PR move. This is PURE speculation and theory and has no basis other than guessing. However the seats were empty, TS needed to fill them. What better way to do so than give the fans what they want? Something to look forward to. Most believe that the new coaching staff was a bomb and that they would be doing nothing next season if Munch was retained.

Next year, with a sexy name, more seats will be in the stadium because of change. I believe that once we would have started winning (if we would have done so), those butts would be in those seats anyways. The only personnel changes I see coming, are ones that would have been made anyways other than possibly (and hopefully) a QB drafted. IF anything, that is the most exciting thing about the Munch firing IMO because I am not even remotely excited about "lockers return" next season.

Another great thing.. is that this off season, free agency, draft, and speculation about the team next season is going to be exciting.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. Alzarius

Also SWM, the only reason I posted all of that was not to "defend" Munch, but simply point out my line of thinking and make sure that him being a "home town hero" has absolutely NOTHING to do with my opinion of the team

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Good job on having an avatar so fast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar