Munchak defends decision to try 57-yarder

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

it very well could be probably is the reason we lost

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Locker completing two passes in the last quarter is more of a reason.

3. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

well if they go for it or punt it maybe he only needs to complete two passes in the fourth quarter

4. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

I don't fault Munchak for kicking the FG. But at the same time, he's got to live with the blame if it doesn't work out, like all sucky coaches do.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. SocalTitansFan

SocalTitansFan Starter

I have no problem with this decision. The game is indoors, and Rob has shown the propensity for making long distance kicks throughout his career. Unfortunately, he missed this one. It's always easy to second guess the coach after the fact when you're not the one who has to make the decision in a matter of seconds.

6. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I hated it at the time because we had all the momentum and it gave them a short field.

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Exactly. There's just no defending it IMO.

8. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

It was risky and it backfired. I like a coach who will let players try to make plays. If Bironas nails it then the team is pumped and we have the Colts starting at their 20yd line after a touchback.

What pisses me off is when we QB sneak on 1st down. That was inexcusable. Their has been a pattern of coaching gaffes this year that has nothing to do with taking a chance in order to get ahead in the game, but have to do purely with appropriate management of the situation. Inexcuadable to have 10 players on the field for 2 plays in a row in a crucial part of the game. We have had some poor clock management as well this year.

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

FWIW the math says too go for it in that situation.

there are 3 realistic possibilities

FGA - low chance of success - negible positive results of 3 points failure gives ponies ball around their 40

Punt - about 50% chance of a TB and 50% chance of something better, probably about as much chance of pinning the ball inside the 5 as making the FG - negible positive results of having too rely on the Titan D too get the ball back

going for 4th and 4 - probably a 50% chance of making it. - positive results of extending the drive and keeping JG out of the decision making process for a few more plays. Possibly leading too 7 points or a much better chance at the 3 points. Negative results of the ponies getting the ball around their 30 instead of around their 40 from missed FGA. 10 yards is that much more real estate JG has too pizz away with his laughable D, but it is also 10 more yards sLuck has of making another boneheaded mistake.

Of course with seconds left in the half or game and score differentials the above could definatly be different. I mean if there was 43 seconds left in the game and the 3 points either ties or puts Titans ahead then going for the long FG is the right call.

YMMV but if it does then YMVs based on something other than the maths involved - lol

10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I told my dad sitting next to me at a stadium before the kick:
    "This is not a decision a team with something to lose makes."

It's true.
    We should have been in "go for broke" mode all game long. Onside kicks, long field goals, the whole 9 yards.

Got nothing to lose, nothing to gain from being in this game, and the rest of the games this season.

Season's over. Air it out, do something crazy to make us want to watch. I wanna see some hook n ladder, lateral plays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar