Munchak: Don’t judge CJ based on five carries

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Titans running back Chris Johnson didn’t deliver the bounce-back performance fans had been hoping for in the preseason opener. But Titans coach Mike Munchak says a five-carry sampling isn’t enough to compare him to last season.

Johnson, who finished with a career-low 1,047 yards in 2011, finished Sunday’s loss to Seattle with just eight yards on five carries.

“You still want to have success if you’re in one play or 50 plays, but it’s hard to get excited over five carries,” Munchak said. “The first carry is a mistake on a blitz and … he loses four yards on his carry, so take into effect that that is counted as one of his five carries.

“His next carry he has a 10-yard run so you have to look at what is happening and hope that if he had played more he would have gotten better. I would think if he would play a game he would have continued to have gotten better throughout the game, just like the others guys did.”

Munchak hopes to double Johnson’s rushing attempts in the Titans’ second preseason game, against Tampa Bay. That should provide more of an indication of where Johnson stands.

“I said earlier we have to go by what we see in practice because we have seen more of that then game play,” Munchak said. “I don’t think there is a change in (Johnson’s) style. It’s more about running confident and that you’re comfortable in the system and the scheme and your abilities. I think the more you do that in preseason the better we will all do.”

Munchak wasn’t in as forgiving a mood regarding Johnson’s two dropped passes.

“It is disappointing,” Munchak said. “That is the whole point of preseason and that is the value of preseason … In practice, you’re not thinking about getting hit. It is a different mindset.

“Why a guy drops it? I don’t know. Obviously we do the same kind of work each week and we work on catching balls and we do it over and over again. So why it happened that particular play? I don’t know but hopefully we won’t see it again.”

Source: Titans Insider

2. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

Don't judge him based on a 5 carry preseason game? Why? What does Munchak think we are? Sensible?

• High Five High Five x 5
  3. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

lol

Last night in the game thread, i was amazed that people couldnt realize that the other RBs werent running against the first team defense.

4. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Come on, Kaeotik you know how CJ rolls.. It's 1, 1, -4, 2, -6,1,1,1,2,2,4,-3,-2,-1, 0,0, then the big 61 yard TD..

5. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

lol Everytime any other RB does a good solid job on a play, "they're clearly better and more explosive than CJ is."

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

Not last year, the final 8 games he has close to 700 yards and only 2 runs more than 30 yards.

7. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

If that were the case he'd have a whole lot more 60+yard runs in his career. You are aware of his ypc and total rushing yardage for his career right? He doesn't have like 140 60+ yard runs you know? Had a 10 yard run last night actually.

8. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Come on now, you know I wasn't throwing out factual numbers. I'm just trying to say that he bores you out with his carries, then BOOM he gets that 70 yard TD run.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. ToddTheTitan

ToddTheTitan GoTitans Homer

The CJ haters were out in full force last night for sure.

I don't think Hass or CJ were as bad as people were making them out to be. Hass' first pick was a fluke, the second was a bad decision on his part. Locker looked okay nothing spectacular there, but what do you expect in the first preseason game? The real stars were Klug and McCarthy though. They are both going to be pro-bowlers this year. Zach Clayton also looked good.

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Oh no, I am still here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar