Munchak: Locker closing the gap on Hasselbeck

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

:headbang:

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. madeupdreams

madeupdreams Starter

The thing that impressed me the most about Locker last night was the he was decisive. He looked confident and comfortable and was the better of the two vying for the starting job.

Being realistic, he'll never have the accuracy of a Kurt Warner, but he doesn't necessarily need to. As long as he can throw catachable passes and make the plays that good QBs should make, I think he'll have a real shot at a great career.

3. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Next year it will be Rusty and Hass fighting for the #2 spot ... Rusty will win.

4. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Wouldn't surprise me

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Word from BSP is that Rusty thinks he could hang with Bolt in a 40.

• High Five High Five x 5
  6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Well, I would kind of hope so by that point.

7. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

Rusty couldn't beat Bolt. Come on man, we are trying to have a little fun.. not go into lala land.

He could take CJ in a 100 yard dash though. No question.

Book it.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I said this in another post but Rusty Smith is the opposite of wheres waldo. Its soooo easy to spot him, from 3 miles away.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Heading into the Titans’ first preseason game, coach Mike Munchak said he wanted to see how second-year quarterback Jake Locker fared in terms of decision-making and game management.

He came away with a good assessment following Locker’s seven-for-13 performance, which included a 79-yard field goal drive in the closing moments of the first half.

“I thought he sat in the pocket nice and he made some good completions,” Munchak said. “It was pretty solid. He had some balls that were dropped. He had a ball that was tipped. Overall, I thought he did a good job with what we asked him to do.”

Locker was most impressive on the field-goal drive, when he completed five-of-seven passes for 59 yards. Four of the five completions went for more than 10 yards and resulted in first downs.

“Eight or nine of his plays were almost in a hurry-up mode,” Munchak said. “You want to see how they handled that with the commotion, the huddle sometimes, the hurry-up, getting off the line of scrimmage, getting the ball spotted, calling time-outs … all that kind of stuff. (Matt Hasselbeck) has done that forever, but since Jake has gotten here he has a good feel for that.”

Hasselbeck was victimized by a pair of interceptions, the first of which was at least partially caused by rookie receiver Kendall Wright being in the wrong spot and crowding the intended receiver – Nate Washington.

“I think that’s the details of not having a preseason game (under us) and the small things that make a difference,” Munchak said. “On that play I think Matt was a little uncertain because of the distribution. It ended up with Kendall being a little deeper than he needed to be so it affected the throw.

“Does that mean that that play should have happened? No. You hope that wouldn’t have happened but it wasn’t as clean as you would like it to be.”

Munchak said he and the staff plan to name a starter for the second preseason game early this week.

But he said there’s still no timetable to name a starter for the regular-season opener.

“We want to name a starter as soon as we’re ready to name him,” Munchak said. “We’re not looking at the calendar. There’s obviously deadlines. One has to be named by a certain time – the sooner the better as we go through our process.”

Source: Titans Insider

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

rusty.jpg

• High Five High Five x 8
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar