Munchak Speech

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Architect, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Architect

Architect Pain Train

Today (4/11) David Lipscomb and The Nashville Business Journal held they regular Nashville Business Breakfast. Good opportunity to network in Nashville. Today's guest speaker was Coach Mike Munchak. He spoke on leadership, opportunity, integrity, and his experiences with the Oilers/Titans. I'm going to try to pour out all the things I can remember. Sorry in advance if i misquote

On how he runs the team:
    • Being professional: He said that he stresses the importance being a professional and not just a football player. He has put up in the locker room "A professional knows what to do then does it"
    • Accountability: He said that he hold the entire team accountable. He said many coaches ride the bench players and gives the stars a pass. He said he "holds the most important player to the team, Chris Johnson, to just a high of a standard if not higher" then other players. He also said he holds himself to a high standard. He said that he will be honest and forthcoming to fan. "I wont get on the podium and "blah, blah blah." I will explain my decisions. (Fisher jab?)
    • Taking Pride in Being a Titan: He said many of the players come to the team NOT KNOW THE TITANS WERE THE OILERS!!! They just figure the team has always been here and dont know what the team means to Nashville. He said many DON'T KNOW WHO EDDIE GEORGE IS!!! (super shocked) He stresses the pride it takes to be a Titan. At the beginning of each season he plays clips of the greatest players from the Oilers in 1960 to present day.

Team:
    • Locker: Guest asked about Locker. He said this guy is going to be a star.
    • Kenny Britt and Morgan: guest asked if we can depend on Britt and Morgan with their constant injury problems. Munchak made the point of how young they are "Kenny is ONLY 23" and how the injuries are behind them.
    • Character Concerns VS Talent: This was interesting. He said that you always want a stand up guy in the locker room, but you don't want the same type of leaders and personalities. You need guys that bring personality/ attitude to the locker room. In the past when he was playing in college, a young 18-19 year old football player would do something dumb and you would never hear about it. Now before he is finished its on ESPN. So they really have to investigate and determine whether it was a young mistake we all make or if they truly have character problems
    • Off Season Acquisitions: Said that we "REALLY NEEDED A D END THIS SEASON." We got Wimbley who will become a known name in Tennessee when the season starts, and we got a hall of famer in Hutch that could last us another 3-4 seasons
    • Draft: "This will be a defense heave draft. We will look at SAFETY, LINEBACKER, AND D LINE" (I remember him listing them in that order)

Man I can way until the draft and practice starts!!! :grrhee:

Update:
    Oh i forgot the most important part: He said in his interview "Yes its important to me to get this job coaching the Titans, BUT ITS MORE IMPORTANT TO ME TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP WITH THE TITANS!"

I was sitting in the room with a bunch of other "suits" but I was SO fired up when I heard that!

• High Five High Five x 17
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Sounds like the Munch so many of us support.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. patitansfan10

patitansfan10 Camp Fodder

Barron will be the pick if he is there and I'm perfectly fine with that.

I like Munch more and more

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I like munchak. Fisher always had something up his sleeve. seemed like a shady (dishonest) guy, even in the good seasons.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Fisher was just all about him and his players, didn't care at all about outsiders.

6. Sonic28

Sonic28 Starter

Great info! Thanks for the post man!

7. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Go Munch Go!

Love how he's leading the "new-era" of Titans

8. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Great post!

I love Munch's attitude and way of running this team. He is the anti-fisher, upfront and honest with the fans, but the thing I like most about him is that he seems to know exactly what direction he wants this team to go, and is taking the steps to get it there. You can tell that he really loves this franchise. I really hope people get off his back for his lack of emotion on gamedays, because I think he cares about this team and its fans more than Fisher ever did.

9. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Munchak was not a popular choice when he became head coach. I've got to say, though, I really like the direction he's taking this team in. He came in and cleared out all Fishers useless roster fillers, and can apparently see the same weaknesses we see (OG, C, DL, LB, DB) instead of just pretending the guys on the field will do just because there titans. Name like Nickey and Gage come to mind instantly. This may be an exciting gear for us.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Bud Adams had one thing to say to that.

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar