Must-Read Article on Wide Receivers

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by GLinks, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Oh yeah, the projection has Michael Crabtree to the Bengals, which earlier I posted would be a great reason the Bengals would let Chad go and lose TJ in the same season...close enough to snag the Crabman. Now with his injury, he'll probably drop right to them.

"5) Brian Robiskie, Ohio State

It was a hard decision between Harvin and Robiskie, Robiskie is the type of player teams will fall in love with. The son of NFL wide receivers coach Terry Robiskie (Browns, Falcons), Brian is easily the best possession-type receiver in this draft.

At 6'3'' 198 pounds, Robiskie is quickly finding his way up draft boards this offseason. Easily the most coached receiver of this draft, Brian has been perfecting his craft for years.

After sitting behing Anthony Gonzalez (Colts) and Ted Ginn Jr. (Dolphins), Robiskie took advantage of the time he had to make a mark on The Ohio State in 2007.

2007-55 recs, 935 yards, 17.0 avg, 11 td's

His numbers trailed off in 2008 which made him lose some steam heading into the combine. With Terelle Pryor's promotion to full-time starter, the Buckeyes were even more focused on the run; creating limited opportunities for Robiskie.

I believe of all the reciever's he may have the best shot at the longest, most succesful career."

This surprised me. Projo has Robiskie to the Colts. I hadn't thought of that, but could easily see it. He would be Manning's new little b***h toy.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...huh?

There are many problems with this article. Here are the 'errors'...

Crabtree - "his speed/size combination is a hard matchup for most corners to deal with. With the effect Larry Fitzgerald had on the Cardinals last season, Crabtree could be quite the commodity."

Crabtree is nothing like Fitz. He has nowhere near the height nor the size. And he's expected to run 4.5's...not 4.4's which doesn't make him a rare blend of size and speed. He probably does have the best hands though. Incorrect info and a bad analogy.

Maclin - "His lack or productivity in college raises some eyebrows about his draft value as well."

Maclin's production is a negative? HUH? He has over 1000 yds each of the last 2 years along with 22 TD's. He also I think holds the single season record for all purpose yds. BIG ERROR!

"You hear a lot about how his stats are distorted because of Missouri's lack of a passing game, but receivers have put up better numbers in worst offenses in the past."

He sounds like he's talking about Maryland, NOT Missouri. They run the spread and pass most of the time...what's he talking about?

DHB - "Though his production slipped in 2008, that happens when you're double teamed EVERY PLAY..."

It's hard to show you're a consistent threat on offense when you're not in a pass happy offense like the Spread. And he wasn't doubled on every play. Even if you watched ONE game he wasn't doubled as much as you'd think.

"Darrius possesses a size/speed combo only Crabtree could even come close to matching."

Considering there are a handful of WR's who are taller and faster than Crabtree, this is simply inaccurate. Louis Murphy is not only taller than Crab, but taller than DHB I think...and ran a 4.43 which I don't think Crab will get anywhere close to. He's not DHB fast, but a lot faster than Crab.

Nicks - "...has seemed to improve with each year of experience, and as a receiver Nicks might just be scratching the surface of his potential."

Nicks is NOT 6'2...if I remember correctly he was measured at 6' 1/2". And the highlighted phrase doesn't mean anything as written. He 'seemed' to improve...but did he? HE DID! He MIGHT be scratching the surface? Can't you say that for EVERY prospect? It also bothers me that a draft site I know has those 2 phrases as there last two sentences on him as well...and they've had there description up for a LONG TIME!

"Though it may take a year or two of hard coaching to get the best out of him, with a little added strength Nicks could be a dominant receiver the likes of Andre Johnson. "

Nicks is considered one of the most NFL ready WR's...but this guy makes him sound like a project. And Nicks is one of the most physical WR's in the draft...but he needs more strength to be like Andre Johnson? AJ has athleticism that would blow the doors off of Nicks. Nicks is nowhere near as fast, tall, big, or athletic. So...another bad comparison.

I found this article...lacking. I also think there is a fair shot DHB could go to the Raiders in a shocking turn of events. Davis does love the biggest and fastest guys...I don't think DHB is THAT good, but Davis has done stranger things...especially IF Maclin can't get into the 4.3 range and DHB gets into the 4.2's.

Gut

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Yeah, I've been pondering Maclin's position for a while. He could easily slide some, I think, into the 20s even. He ran 4.4 at the combine and tweaked a hammy, I believe. So I think he has a little added pressure on his pro day.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Consider that he's 6'0+, about 200lbs, is SLOW running a 4.4 (compared to Crabtree's expected 4.5), and is an explosive playmaker who can be a dynamic kr and pr and probably slot WR while he learns more of the NFL game. Crabtree runs better routes but also comes from a spread, so he'll need work too. Crab has better hands, but Maclin is multi-dimensional and more explosive. Crab has awesome production though while Maclin's is merely VERY GOOD.

The times at Indy seem to be up for a lot of debate. To see times adjusted by .05 seconds is common. Rarely do we see adjustments of more than .1 and usually not even that much. I think a lot of scouts are ignoring the electronically timed numbers this year and will go by film and pro dates.

Maclin hyper-extended his knee but is said to be fine (didn't even need an mri). He says his hip hurt more than his knee. He'll be fine for his workout.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar