My dislike for Goodell continues to grow...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Broken Record, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

The commissioner opines that it may be time to do away with the distinction between division champions and wild cards.

Realize that this comes from the Cleveland press where they ran the biggest "we got screwed out of the playoffs" spin I've ever heard this year. Regardless, it is from the mouth of Goodell.

A policy like this would make a division championship virtually meaningless and that's bad for division rivalries in a lot of ways.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

This idea is not good. Unless they are going to reformat the divisional setup, or do away with divisions all together, then it would be stupid for division champ to play away at a wild card teams home stadium.

3. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

I actually like that idea, why should the team with a better record have to play on the road just because there's a better team in their division? or the flip side of it, why should a team get to host a playoff game just because they play in a weak division? The NBA has been doing this for a while and it seems to work well there, I don't see why not.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

The big difference with that is the NBA plays a series of games so each team gets to at least be at home throughout the series. In the NFL the home-field advantage is more important.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

colts/titans/jags get to pad their records by playing the Texans twice a year.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I hate the idea of doing away with winning a division guaranteeing a home playoff game. I mean, that's a big deal. Fans deserve that as a prize for their team winning a division. Overall record? Sure, that's big. That's conference standings where it's basically determined after all tie-breakers who's actually in the playoffs. but if a team didn't win in the division amongst teams they play twice a year... we're talking about six ball games of course... why do they "deserve" to have a play-off game at home because of their overall record? Because they beat the same scrotum of nuts three times a year? Take that overall record and shove it up your tight *** Goodell. That idea sucks.

7. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

Might as well do away with the divisions and conference system if this is in the cards.

Or, just move the Browns out of Cleveland. That would shut those whiners up.
    Or give them something else to complain about.

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Having a division champion (and makes division games during the season MUCH more significant. That translates to money. I doubt this was nothing more than lip service.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Home Field is actually not that important in Football. The Research.

NCAA Men's College basketball: 4.2[2]
    National Basketball Association: 3.2[1]
    NCAA Men's College football: 1.94[4]
    National Football League: 1.44[3]
    National Hockey League: 0.31[5]

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Huh? How about a link so I can see what is odds, p-values, etc. Those numbers give me the impression it IS important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar