My In-Depth Look at the QB Class.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by ImATitan, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Similar to my RB thread, here goes my take on the QBs.

1. Blake Bortles (UCF). Cliche, but I do see why this guy is the #1 QB. He's got a smooth delivery and impressive mobility. He eludes sacks and picks up yards with his legs. Important to mobility, he also throws well on the run. He's Ben Roethlisberger-like. He's got the entire frame for the position. With all those positives, he's far from a home run prospect or sure thing. He needs to improve his ball placement. He doesn't have elite arm strength. It's nice to see his confidence throwing into tight windows, but its lead to some picks. At times, he'll telegraph his throw for the D. All in all, when looking at progression, this guy has the best chance to be the best Qb of this class.

2. Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville). I'm very impressed with his poise. He's always calm & under control. He throws well on the run, & is especially impressive throwing with pressure in his face; he simply steps into his throw, & makes the correct one. Lacks elite arm strength but does a nice job moving DBs to where he wants them to be with his eyes. Has very good accuracy. It can improve but it should, because its already good. He isn't very athletic, but is mobile enough to extend plays & pick up some yards on the ground. His thin frame is cause for inj concern. My major concern would be he didn't face top competition on a weekly basis, and didn't really show a killer instinct. I like him, but he may lack "it."

3. Johnny Manziel (Texas A&M). Listen, I didn't really like this guy as a player (I can care less about everything else). I wanted to put him lower than 3 but didn't have the balls. It goes without saying he's a dynamic athlete, we all know that. His ability to elude sacks, extend plays & run is beyond impressive. He does a nice job throwing on the run (I think his accuracy actually improves). My concern was him in the pocket. I watched a lot of games, and saw so many overthrows when he wasn't even bothered by a pass rush. Also a scary tendency to rely on a receiver to make a big play; he'll throw into a traffic jam and hope for the best. I just don't see many pocket passing skills, and I smell a bust.

4. Derek Carr (Fresno State). A pretty good all around passer. He throws a really nice fade, and can fit the football in tight windows. Has a stronger arm than all of the top 3 prospects. He's mobile enough to make plays with his feet. Where I may be mostly impressed with Carr is pre snap. He's smart, and makes good adjustments. The concern with him is how flustered he looks under pressure. He'll rush his throws when blitzed. He needs to simply set his feet and make better throws in the face of pressure. I wouldn't take him, or any QB besides Bortles at 11.

5. Zach Mettenberger (LSU). I kept looking for reasons to bury this guy low on my list but I can't. The tape spoke for itself. He throws a terrific deep ball, and has great accuracy all over the field. He trusts his arm, and with good reason. There are definitely concerns; he's basically a statue in the pocket. Has little to no mobility, and would be a disaster under a poor OL. Needs to do better job recognizing, and executing under the blitz. Not worried about his torn ACL since he isn't mobile and has a good build. His throwing game is simply too good to bury him for the lack of mobility.

6. Aaron Murray (Georgia). Another guy I wanted to put lower on my list but couldn't. Just watch him vs LSU & South Carolina and you saw a clutch performer. He possess a great deep ball, play action and pump. His lack of size doesn't bother me. I'd be comfortable with this guy in the 4th. Some say 5-6, I'd take him earlier.

7. Jimmy Garoppolo (Eastern Illinois). Let me say, I really struggled with 5-7 here, because I like them all. I like Garoppolo, so don't be fooled by the #7 rank. He has great athletic ability with his legs, but at times goes to them too soon -- He has happy feet. I like the fact that he ran an up tempo offense and he has above average arm strength. He has nice vision but may force some throws. He has nice accuracy.

8. David Fales (San Jose State). Definitely a sleeper. He's a natural in the pocket and possesses a good pump fake. He makes the right pre snap reads, and it's lead a terrific 72.5 completion %; he also has his great accuracy to thank for that. He keeps his eyes moving down field and he sees the game well. He has below average arm strength (you notice it a little 15+ yards) but knows when to add some pop to the ball & when to take some off.

9. AJ McCarron (Alabama). I just don't see the guy as more then a Alex Smith (at best) like game manager. He does possess an NFL build and does a nice job throwing under pressure. His long ball really floats on him; way below average arm strength. He does however show nice accuracy and athletic ability.

10. Brett Smith (Wyoming). He's extremely athletic to pick up yards on the ground. He is very smart pre snap -- identities spot coverage spots and attacks them. Scans the field & his reads efficiently. He has a great work ethic and coaches will love him. Does have a tendency to throw into tight coverage & hope for the best. He lacks elite velocity, especially when he isn't allowed to step into his throws. His arm is strong enough for the next level though.

11. Tom Savage (Pittsburgh). This guy is a monster on the field and has a huge arm. He can make every single throw from the pocket. For his size, he has an impressive amount of mobility; he'll buy time when needed. Sometimes, his arm is too big -- lots of overthrows. My big issue with this guy is how often he stares at his target for multiple seconds before making the throw. Big no no. He needs to read DBs and create openings.

12. Logan Thomas (Virginia Tech). 6'6, what a beast! He runs like a tree trunk and is extremely tough. He's hard to bring down and he'll lower his pads. Extremely strong arm that allows him to get away with flat footed throws. His accuracy, ball placement, vision, footwork & mechanics are all extremely questionable though.

There's my top 12.

Again, I wouldn't pick a QB at 11 (except Bortles). Would absolutely take Carr, Manziel (I Guess lol) or Bridgewater at 42. Probably won't have that choice though.

I'd definitely welcome Murray, Mettenberger or Garoppolo at our next pick. 42 would probably be a reach for any of these, but may need to take Garo there if he's our guy. Murray & Mettenberger could probably be had in the 4th or 5th.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. titans92790

titans92790 Starter

Good post, glad to see no biases on the QB's. I think Bridgewater could be the steal of the draft with the way his stock has plummeted.

3. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Thanks. I had no reason to be bias. Agreed on Teddy, but I still fear him at 11. I wouldn't be too comfortable with that.

4. Ghost

Ghost 3 Time US Navy 7th Fleet "Hogging" Champion

If there is a guy at #11 who has the potential to be a "franchise QB" you take him. Regardless of rather or not you need him or you have more pressing needs.

Franchise QBs are few and far between.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

When a QB begins to fall it is usually for good reason and history proves that out. Like Brian Brohm who for a while was considered equal to Matt Ryan and fell to the back of the 2nd rd. total bust! Or Omar Jacobs whose delivery was deemed unfix-able and fell to the 5th and never had an nfl career.

Bridgewater is similar as a prospect to Geno Smith.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Disagree with the analysis of Mccarron. The timing on his deep passes could be better because he is either late or too early hen he lets the ball go. People talk about arm strength when he under throws a receiver deep but just as often he threw too soon and over threw guys deep.

He was comparable top Bortles at his combine workout when he threw. Not an arm stregth problem!

Played big in 2 national championship games against defenses loaded with nfl talent. No way you can put Mettenburger and Murray ahead of him.

7. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Starter

I wish we would finish building our defense this draft, get o-line depth/tackle replacement, and maybe a Runningback.

Give Locker his final year to prove himself if not we either end up with a high draft pick or a playoff team.

8. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

Aaron Rodgers, Dan Marino, Jay Cutler all guys who "fell" out of the top 10 and turned out to be the best QBs of their respective classes. I get your point but I wouldn't discount a guy altogether just because he's falling.Hell Dalton went in the second and while he's no superstar he's still the best of his class so far.

9. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Starter

I love all the hate for Bridgewater now, when everyone was hoping we tanked the season to last year to get him this year.

10. PA724_Titans

PA724_Titans Special Teams Standout

Yet, youre so inclined to think Clowney will be number one cuz everyone else is saying it, interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar