My North Endzone Negatives

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Don, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnybow

johnnybow Guest

I agree with TJ that CB is a 2nd tier RB. He has and will have some good games, but... I finally got to see a game-2nd one this year-and I disagree with some on this forum about Mac. I think he's okay. I wonder if he'd be getting all this criticism if his WR's were catching balls that hit them in the hands.

2. Hellblitzer

Hellblitzer Guest

you guys will see what a real RB can do this Sunday, Im afraid its not going to be pretty.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Saying CB is a second tier running back is NOT a slam on Brown at all. There is a very short list of 1st tier running backs (5-6) and we may not have a running back in that short list for years even if we dumped Brown and Henry and used our 1st pick on a RB. Brown is actually having a better year than Curtis Martin, Julius Jones, Fred Taylor, Jamal Lewis, Cory Dillon and Kevin Jones. Not to mention Brown has about 100 yards and 3 TDs less because of penalties.
    Have any of you guys seen the games? The poor blocking? As Maximus wrote, we have more pressing needs and no RB is going to be able to put up big numbers the way our line is playing.

It also amazes me how posters knock Volek like he is a garbage QB, cannot get it done, not the answer yet McNair gets every excuse in the world. True McNair isn't all the problem but he is our starting QB and we have a ridiculously terrible 3rd down efficiency and haven't scored a TD for more than 2 games (the Texans are a garbage defense). McNair does not do the little things well like making good fakes, looking off defenders (he stares at his WR) and what about the freedom he is supposed to have at the LOS to change the play? McNair isn't exactly Payton Manning up there the way he disects the defense. Heck half the reason our screen plays don't usually work well is because McNair is 1/8 the QB Manning is when selling the defense. Anyone can throw 5 yard passes anyway and we would not and could not be any worse with Volek or Mauck. 90% of McNair's passing yards last game were runs after the catch.

The only bright spot has been the play of Brown and Henry running and catching. Without those guys the offense might as well quick punt, hope our defense can get a turnover or hold them and hope Pacman can return the punt.

I also want ot go on record as saying EG's YPC with this OL would be close to zero.

4. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

Don't get me wrong, just cause I said those things doesn't mean I dislike CB. I like CB alot and loved every second of his big runs last year, but the fact remains, as Jeff said, he isn't a 1st tier RB which makes him a average at best back like I said. If we spent a 1st on a RB this year I would seriously kick the FO one by one - we have more pressing needs. But that doesn't mean maybe later down the stretch we'll draft a RB again in the 1st. I honestly feel for us to return to where we were, we need to go back to what made us good and that's est. our old power running game and tough-as-nails defense. IMO, CB isn't the type of back Fisher likes and it will become apparent in later seasons.

I really do miss EG and I'm sure alot of posters here feel the same way. Like someone stated above, I loved it when EG would still beat people (in his prime of course) when they stacked the line. As for people bashing the weak OLine play, look at Dominik Davis - the guy is having a better season behind an even crapier OLine than ours. Chris couldn't even do much at all, against the worst rushing team in the NFL unless he was catching the ball.

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

How do we get the run game better? We have 2 above average rb's imo playing behind below average line play.

I'd like Shawn Alexander, but that's probably a pipe dream....or maybe a bottom of the bottle dream :drunk:

I think we have almost no chance at Bush.

DeAngelo looks really good, but is he worth as high of a pick as we'll have or should we stick with our 2 headed monstrosity and try to upgrade their blocking?

I'm leaning towards better blocking above all else.

6. Joe Z.

Joe Z. Guest

We do NOT want Shaun Alexander. Not only is he nearing the twilight of his career, but he runs behind one of the best run blocking lines in the NFL.

He's also on the soft side, and is not a team player.

If he was as good as his numbers indicate, Seattle would have already locked him up to a long-term deal. But they haven't, and that should tell you something. Holmgren knows how good his OL is.

7. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Where's the proof that Alexander's entering the twilight of his career?

I don't think this guy has any serious personality issues, at least nothing like a lot of other good players (some already on our team).

Maybe Edge isn't that good either since he hasn't been locked up? I don't buy that.

But I doubt the Titans will buy Alexander either. I bet he gets more money than we're willing to give or can give.

8. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

I'd say we upgrade the blocking, Bobo, then utilize Brown more as a runner and Henry as a reciever. Henry seems to do better when catching the ball. As for Joe Z's comments on Alexander, I agree. He whined over 1 yard last year and not getting the rushing title. He's not as good as he thinks he is and he's all about himself. He's the T.O. of Running Backs. No Thanks.

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

He whined over the rushing title, then immediately apologized for it. So he's a TO? Is this a knee jerk reaction or are we not giving TO his credit? Remember, he worked very hard to get the title of "league's biggest a-hole" :lol:

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Missing EG?
    For those who miss EG remember that we did have a better OL at the peak of EGs career than we have now. After EGs injury it took 300 carries for EG to break 1000 yards.

On Alexander, he is a top tier back that runs with good power, quickness, balance, vision and speed. He does have a good OL but he is also very good. He has been as consistent as any back in the league over the last 5 years, doesn't get hurt and has an amazing 83 TDs over that span. I do agree that if he ran behind the OL we have his YPC would be about .5 yards less with fewer TDs but he is in his prime and possibly the best in the NFL.
    Why the Hawks don't throw the ball to him more is puzzling but apparently that is not their style on offense. In 2002 he had 59 catches for 460 yards but only has 72 yards recieving this year.
    Maybe the reason they have not locked him up (same as with James) is it is safer to keep franchising a RB each year. RBs are only one injury away from going from the best in the league to EG status. Without a long-term commitment the team protects themselves. If another team wants to foot the bill they can give up two first round picks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar