Need a video convertor

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gunny, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michi40

Michi40 Lost bullet

as i told you, I have changed a .WMV file to .AVI file just by changing manually the extension, not coding it from one format to another and it woks perfectly.

Actually what I really call coding and decoding, to be able to reproduce a video is to have the codec which could be in one of this formats*:

CVID Cinepak video format
    I263 Intel 263 format.
    IV50 Intel Indeo V5 format
    MP42 Microsoft MPEG-4 format
    MP43 Microsoft MPEG-4 format Version 3
    DIV3 DivX
    DIV4 DIvX
    Xvid Divx-by a opensource group->xvid
    MWV1 Aware Inc.'s Motion Wavelets Video Codec.
    more...?

*(notice how weird it is that an AVI "format" can have any of the aboves "formats")

For me what it means is that "inside" avi or wmv or mov there´s different formats and that is what matters to the player, the codec they use, not the extension (even though they dont have license for all extension, and sometimes the players don´t accept them, thats why I change em manually).

Thats why I call video extensions "nutshells" instead of formats. Cause is the way I understand and explain this weird video encoding thing.

That is (i think) why I can change manually a WMV to AVI and still works... because it was indeed a MP43 format and I have the codec.

So... a Divx is a video format inside of a AVI video "format" I think. Anyway... confusing.

2. Michi40

Michi40 Lost bullet

See
    for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVI

They dont call it "nutshell" but "multimedia container format"... quite clarifying with the "container" word on it thats what i meant with "more like a nutshell"

Hope this explains a lot better than me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar