Need another QB

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Big TT, Jun 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Well now that it is done what about the future. We all know that "billy ball" is short term only, maybe if he stays healthy this season but next year it will be VY almost for sure. I suspect Billy will not want to return to the backup role especially if he performs at a resonable level. Which means a trade/release situation right? What happens then, I don't think Mauck will be around for this season much less next year. VY will need a backup, who is out there now or will be then that could fill that role.

2. Perahps Tommy Maddox, looks a good back up to me or Jay Fielder who I like. Other than those two I'm not sure...please don't say Kerry Collins cause I really really don't want him to be a Titan

3. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Volek is under contract until 2007 and has a no-trade clause in his contract. That does not mean that we can't trade him, that just makes it harder to do so. If Billy takes us to the playoffs or even close to it, don't be surprised to see him back here in 2007 as a starter. McNair rode the bench for 3 years before taking over the QB spot.
    If Volek does extremely well, the coaches might have to stick with him.

4. TM

TM Starter

OK. Kerry Collins

Collins efficency ratings were not substantially different than McNair's last year and significantly better than Volek's.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb.php

In addition, Collins has started 145 NFL games, Volek only 10. I see nothing wrong with bringing Collins in and letting him compete with Volek for the starting job. The last thing we want to have to do is be forced to play VY before he is ready if Volek goes down.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Tommy Maddox? C'mon man...
    If he ever walked onto LP Field again
    he would start having flashbacks!

[​IMG]

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20021117_PIT@TEN

If he does he had better sell himself some good health insurance first! :lol:

ps- I was at that game!!!

6. CanadaTitan

CanadaTitan Guest

collins is the best qb available free agent wise without a doubt, maddox and fiedler are aweful, collins is respectable at least, hes been to a superbowl

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

3 things...

Can the Titans win this year? If not, why bring in a Kerry Collins?

Is there a guarantee that VY will be ready next year? No. So we need a QB through next season.

Third, how long can Fisher and Reese last without a winning record?

Collins helps with questions 2 and 3 which means he'd help with 1 too IF he's here. Since I don't think Fisher and Reese will last much longer without a winning record...especially after the free agents we got and the draft, I think they'll bring in Collins or a defensive player. Considering Volek is 'fragile' and our OL has been leaky, put your money on a QB or an OT is a decent vet shakes loose.

I wouldn't mind a defensive player though. Defense wins championships!

Gut

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Fielder is coming off major shoulder surgery so the only way they nab him is as a backup (mainly for '07 and '08) and can get him very cheap AND spend our money on a defensive player or OL.

I don't want Maddox!

And believe it or not, Collins played behind some really leaky O-lines with the Giants so he's been there before. And despite his immobility, he's not Chris Chandler!

Gut

9. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

In the mean time, I could see the coaching staff developing a young guy to become Young's backup. I know we have a UDFA QB from Texas Tech on the roster. I imagine they'll keep developing Mauck too. If nothing else, we'll sign a backup QB next offseason.

10. We need a backup QB for Young in 07, and I think Fielder can do that, plus like Gut says he's cheap.

Forgot about that Maddox game with the Titans........................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar