Networking - DTV HD DVR

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Blazing Arrow, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

OK so I read up on this on the DTV sight seems good. I see it on the network and the box can see my network. Everything seems great. I have all but one of this season Titans games on DRV wanted to start playing with them see what I could do. :suspect:

Can't access the box on my network. I call DTV thinking they would help ... :suspect:

I get some lady that sounds like she is at some drop zone in the middle of a battle ... come to find out that I need some Viiv technology which is only on some chips or mother boards who knows.

If I can see this in my network I doubt that I am limited to a small amount of MBs.

Does anyone have a hack? Way to see the files? Anything to point me in a direction?

2. I've never looked too hard for a hack or workaround, but I had the same issue.

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

not sure how Dtv works, but when I was thinking of switching from cable, I found that Dish allows for adding External HDD for offloading content
    Tivo also gives you this option on their newer boxes

kind of sad that these devices have USB / Ethernet ports that you can't do anything with

4. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Problem with Dish is they always seem to be in a fight with some channel and that channel isn't on. I was watching local WKRN the other day when they had a crawl along the bottom that basically said ABC wasn't going to be on Dish local due to a disagreement.

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

yeah, it's a give and take thing I guess

i was speaking from an equipment standpoint
    from what I've read, Dish has much better equipment
    plus the ability to enable file transfer to external HDD

if they happen to drop off a local station, I'd just switch to my off-air ATSC antenna... and get a better signal to boot
    besides, it's just ABC

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

you know what the fight is all about? How much affiliates in the markets carried on the satellite are affected in the pocketbook. I think it has something to do with the cost of dish being lower than DTV. It's like they are passing along the cheapness to the franchisees. Hey, if I'm paying less I can pick up those HD broadcasts over the air or on the cable that brings my internet. I view that as a short term thing that will be resolved in time. Back in the day satellite could hardly carry locals at all. Those issues aren't really the fault of Dish so much in my view but local broadcasters protecting their interests.

7. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

My sister used to have Dish and seemed like there was always some network, broadcast or not, that was in some dispute with Dish. I have Directv and very happy with it. Either way, vastly superior to cable.

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I've had both of them and have been happy with both of them. I recently switched and it wasn't the fault of Direct TV. They've been great.

9. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

While I have not messed with hooking mine up to my network, I would suggest you go to the link below and ask for some help. There are a lot of power users, techs and even engineers who are regulars there. You won't get anyone on the phone with DirecTV who knows squat until you get to at least Tier 2 level support.

DBS Talk DirecTV HD DVR Forum

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar