New Sub Package Lineups

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

CJ didn't do much in NY but if wasn't for the injury in AZ he would of had a decent year. This year I think he will have a good year teamed with David Johnson

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I'd say we have a lot of options depending on matchups but here would be a few...

Base
    DE Casey
    NT Johnson
    DE Jones

LOLB Morgan
    LILB Williamson
    RILB Woodyard
    ROLB Orakpo

CB McCourty
    CB Cox
    SS Searcy
    FS Johnson

Nickel - base - 4-3 front
    DE Casey
    DT Johnson
    DT Jones
    DE Dodd

LOLB Morgan
    ROLB Orakpo

CB McCourty
    CB Cox
    NB McCain
    SS Searcy
    FS Johnson

Nickel Pass Rush and Cover (2-3-6)
    DT Casey
    DT Klug

OLB Orakpo
    OLB Dodd
    OLB Morgan

CB McCourty
    CB Cox
    NB McCain
    SS Searcy
    Rover Johnson
    FS Byard

Lots of options and pieces to move around. Would like to see all our pass rushers on the field on obvious 3rd and long (or longer) with Casey and Klug with a hand down with Rak, Morgan and Dodd moving all over the place so the D doesn't know who's coming and from where! And with 3 S's, can have one line up near LOS and fake (or real) blitz too!

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I don't think in our standard 4-3 nickle package that we will take both Williamson and Woodyard off the field.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

vs a 1st and 10, probably not if that team has any viable run threat. Teams like the pack that run 3 WR's with a FB and RB, we'd certainly have at least 1 ILB.

On 3rd and long, I think I'd rather have Dodd on the line and Rak able to blitz wherever and Morgan able to cover or blitz too. Williamson isn't particularly good in coverage and nowhere near as good in the pass rush.

I suspect one of our new backup LB's...maybe Spence will come in as a nickle/coverage LB OR we bring in a 3rd S.

Conventional wisdom would say take out the NT (say Johnson), move the DE's to DT and drop down the OLB's to play DE. The NT is replaced by a nickel CB.

That would look like...

DE Orakpo
    DT Casey
    DT Klug
    DE Morgan

LB Woodyard
    LB Williamson

CB McCourty
    CB Cox
    NB McCain
    FS Johnson
    SS Searcy

The other option is to take out one of the ILB's and have something like...

DE Dodd
    DT Casey
    DT Klug
    DE Morgan

ILB Williamson
    OLB Orakpo

CB McCourty
    CB Cox
    NB McCain
    FS Johnson
    SS Searcy

Specialty wise, along the zone blitz concept, I like having...

DT Casey
    DT Klug

LB Dodd
    LB Orakpo
    LB Morgan

CB McCourty
    CB Cox
    NB McCain
    Rover Johnson
    FS Byard
    SS Searcy

Lots of options which means lots of matchup ability depending on opponent, score, down and distance, and great competition for playing time from DL to LB to CB to S!!!

5. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I agree...if we stay healthy we can have a lot of different looks. We just need to be able to win 1st down with our base defense to allow us to actually force teams into bad down and distance situations.

I can certainly see Byard as a guy who comes in to play center field for us in the dime package

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

I want teams to know it's gonna be a long F ing day when playing us...That's how it used to be, and that's how it should be now. We have earned it.

• High Five High Five x 3
  7. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

Couldn't agree more. I think that was the purpose of this draft: get nasty on both sides of the ball. Really hoping that Dodd, Johnson and those DB's come in hungry and ready to lay the wood!

I miss the days of having a defense that would make their ass quit.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. cdubbs2121

cdubbs2121 Pro Bowler

What did you guys think about Ragland?
    Heart was a red flag or the fact that he's not really a three down player? Or did people want him to THUMP.

9. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

Amen brother! Back to what made me a fan of this team in the first place. Hard nosed, my hat on your hat wins type of football (straight war and all physical). I would love to see that identity again with this team.

#39 Hormesis, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  10. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Exactly!!! Likewise. Beef up the defense, and steam roll others with our bruising offense. Let's do this bro!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar