New Titans fan here

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Vince10, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caphorn

Caphorn Guest

You have a whole new breed of T-shirt Longhorn, Oiler, Houston and just plain VY fans. 35 would be a serious underestimation of the numbers. But on a relative basis, I'd say about 1/4 of the city will be rooting for the Titans on gameday (even against the Texans). The rest are split among the Texans, Cowboys and those that just don't give a *****.

The one thing we all have in common is hatred of the Steelers. This fact cannot be stated too often.

Some of us new bandwaggoners will actually travel to games. The Dec 10 showdown in Houston will be a sight to behold. I'm expecting a pretty split up crowd and a new form of bad blood to be developed. The pull of the Columbia Blue may just win out - which is kind of funny when you think about it.

Does anyone know if a Vince Young - HOUSTON OILERS - jersey is available? That would absolutely kick *** from my perspective.

Get ready for the return of the old fans. We come with alot of the history of the org (I won't tell you my personal history of woe and grief but lets just say I had Oiler season tickets from the time I was 5 until the day they left town). Hope you don't hate us too much.

Now, all this said, could you guys please make sure Bud Adams doesn't f'ck up this good Titan karma.

2. Vin-Sanity!

Vin-Sanity! Guest

Hey there fellow Vince fan:

I have been an Oilers fan since I was 13 years old. My brothers and cousins are all Raiders fans and I wanted to have my own team. In 1978, I chose a team that had just drafted one of the best running backs in college football history -- you should know who I'm talking about already. Texas All-American and Heisman winner Earl Campbell.

When the Oilers moved to Nashville, I stayed true Oiler blue. I even took my Oilers cap, and -- with a piece of red duct tape (that still dons the now-retired cap to this day), I scribbled the word "Tennessee" and placed it over the word "Houston" and -- with that -- I had the world's first Tennessee Oilers cap. A year later, the team held a contest to rename the team. Winner would get lifetime season tickets. Even though I live in Sacramento, I was sure I was going to win with my submission of the Tennessee Bootleggers. Tennessee has a long history with moonshine and of course, the bootleg is football jargon. I was sure I'd win. But, sadly, the Oilers became the Titans. It's grown on us, though. "Touchdown Titans!"

Although I have attended many Oilers/Titans west coat "away" games, three years ago, my wife and I bought two tickets to Adelphia (as it was known then) Colesium and made our first ever trip to Nashville. I could not believe the excitement that brimmed around the city on game day. Here I am in Sacramento, and it's a rare day if I find another Titans fan on the street. Now I'm in Nashville and EVERYBODY is a Titans fan! Unbelievable! We throughly enjoyed watching the Titans beat the Saints. We stayed in Nashville for a week and have thought many times about moving out there someday.

Some of my favorite Oilers/Titans from years gone by (in no particular order):

Warren Moon
    Billy "White Shoes" Johnson
    Eddie George
    Derrick Mason
    Elvin Bethea
    Ray Childress
    Bruce Matthews
    Steve McNair
    Frank Wycheck
    Dan Pastorini
    Mike Munchak
    Drew Hill
    Ernest Givins
    Sean Jones
    Mike Rozier
    and now, of course..........Vince Young!

This team has a long, storied history. Jeff Fisher is a great coach. Someone please hand me a hanky now, because I'm starting to tear up here.

Welcome to the Titans!

[​IMG]

3. Overalls

Overalls Starter

Just so you new TENNhead, just because of Vince, old Oiler fans Know, the fans of the Titans, in Tennessee have no respect for you and think you are lousey fans for throwing your team away. Nice to see you are showing them how fickle and easy you are. Have a nice day.

4. Caphorn

Caphorn Guest

Great list. I have several odd-ball favorites (lesser knowns):

Chris Dishman (Vince actually mentioned him during his Houston press conference)
    Bubba McDowell
    Rob Carpenter
    Kenny Stabler
    Carl Mauck
    Robert Brazile
    Tony Zendejas
    Kenny Burroughs
    Al Cowlings (heh)
    Tom Dempsey
    Curtis Duncan
    Ken Houston
    Haywood Jeffires
    George Blanda

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

first moo

second Overalls its just you nobody has any respect for, and Titan fans are glad the Mayor of Houston was such an idiot to let an NFL franchise leave. When is Houston gonna replace the one they let move to Tennessee

6. Caphorn

Caphorn Guest

:rolleyes: Don't you live in Baytown?

7. V-MAN

V-MAN I still believe

I am very excited to see long-time Oiler fans remembering where your allegence truly lies. You should have never left those Oilers.

I have always been a life-long Oiler fan and remember all the great years of old. And yes it broke my heart to see them leave Hou. But those in Hou know that it was the best for the team because they had little to no support at the time. I remember going to the Astrodome that last year they were in Hou and having to deal with the majority of the fans being with the opposite team.

Long story short I still support my boys...Now the Titans. And I still have one of the first shirts that came out w' McNair on it. It has the Oiler insignia on it. Everytime I wear it everyone remembers those days. Now we begin a new era with Vince Young. And my entire family will soon have his jersey!

8. Overalls

Overalls Starter

I have no idea what that has to do with anything, but yes I do. Are you trying to imply that only people in Houston should root for the Texans and only people who live in Nashville should root for the Titans or what?

And GeT you hurt my feelings. Your opinion means so much to me.

9. Caphorn

Caphorn Guest

I think you should be a bit more objective than that. Remember that the last year with Oilers, the team had already announced the move to Tennessee. Do you think if the Titans announced they were moving back to Houston, the stadium would be full of supportive fans from Tennessee? Of course not. I kept my season tickets and stayed until the last game was over.

The Oilers had great support, but Bud had his own agenda. He really pissed a ton of people off unnecessarily. I won't go through the whole litany but firing Bum Phillips summarily was the start of it. As a result, he couldn't garner public support for a new stadium and the rest is history.

The fans in Houston have mostly tried to latch onto the new team, but mostly still just don't care. The one thing I and several thousands of Houstonians (and Longhorn fans) do care about is VINCENT YOUNG. The man is absolutely amazingly talented. He is a joy to watch and I want to watch all of his professional games and root for his team. It just so happens that this coincides with my old Oiler roots. So, we're back to keep tabs on Young and also because we have great sentiment for the Columbia Blue. We're not back for Bud. Trust me. That part we have to swallow . . . again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar