New tune from the Avvie Nation

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by avvie, Dec 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Oh, yes, I see. It's just the samples, but not the player.
    I need to do some research to see if Reaper already has a sample player.

In the meantime, I've looked around and can only find one free sample player...the others available are demos, so you can't add sounds without paying hundreds for it.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/196.html

Theoretically, you can DL and install this player, then go to this page and get the first download mentioned at the top: "> .wav samples"

http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk/ns_kit7freedownload.html

It's a big download...a 72.5 MB zip that opens to 199 MB. Make sure you have the most recent winzip application (which is a complete PITA to use...I never could figure it out). Read the player instructions carefully, or you'll be running in circles and chasing your tail.

Like I said before, the industry has us all by the short and curlies with regards to drums. We must rely on the kindness of strangers. there are free drum samples everywhere, but the players are what kill you.
    In fact, I just noticed I told you something wrong above: the "free" sample player was IK Multimedia's Sampletank. I was going to turn you on to that one, but the free version will not allow you to import free samples.
    The Kontact player I mentioned is only free when you buy the samples to use with it...which I did: I bought an orchestra :ha:

2. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I may just wait and save up for a drum machine, and a better program. I'm about to move and I'm going to try to set up a music room anyway....this cramped space I have sucks to try and record in.

That will at least give me some time to look at all the options before deciding on what to do. I may even buy a Mac by then.

3. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Just a thought on drums. In my opinion, the best thing you can do is find a drummer you like with the technology to lay some tracks down on stuff you send him/her.

It will probably be hit or miss until you find someone you like and can work with, but there are a lot of great forums out there for folks who are seriously into PC recording and love to collaborate online. I used to frequent one at http://www.recordingwebsite.com and I'm sure Avvie can point you in the direction of some other quality forums.

I had never recorded any live percussion (other than egg shakers, etc.) on my recordings and once I posted something over at the Recording Website. Some guy took the liberty of downloading my file, recording his own drum track onto it and sending it back to me. It was absolutely awesome!

That setup might not work to your satisfaction every time, but it's worth a shot. As primarily a stringed instrument guy, I'd much rather let the drummers play drums. I've tried machines and all that, but it never sounds as good as a real guy hitting a real snare.

Just two cents from your friendly neighborhood Broken Record.

4. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

So, BR...do I understand that you finally got into the hobby? I know you were talking about starting sometime last summer.

BTW...was diggin' your album again last weekend...

5. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Thanks avvie!

I'm still where I was, with a piece o' crap Korg D8 that I can't stand and some rack equipment that I don't even have plugged up. haha.

I'm definitely going to go computer based at some point and get cranked back up. Planned on doing it last summer but my beat up pickup truck cost me some major moo-lah and put my plans on hold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar