Next generation Matthews likes Houston, Titans

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by NewsGrabber, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>INDIANAPOLIS -- Clay Matthews Jr. grew up in Southern California with affection for three teams -- the Cleveland Browns, the Atlanta Falcons and the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans.</p> <p>His father played linebacker for 16 years with the Browns and three with the Falcons. His uncle was a versatile Hall of Fame offensive lineman for the Oilers/Titans for 19 years. The next generation Matthews said he has remained loyal to all three franchises.</p> <p>A late bloomer, Matthews walked on at USC, blossomed into a top linebacker and is now projected to be selected in the first or second rounder.</p> <p>After talking affectionately about Cleveland and Atlanta, he said he'd love to play for the Texans and be close to his uncle.</p> <p>"I love Texas, I love coming out there and visiting him, to be able to play for Houston would just be a dream come true, I love the area and I love the team," Matthews said at his Saturday podium session at the combine.</p> <p>How about Tennessee?</p> <p>"I was able to come out I believe in 2001 and watch Eddie George run for 200 on the Raiders, I believe," he said.</p> <p>He said he's come across a lot of people with a connection to his family as he prepares to enter the draft.</p> <p>"I think every person I've met out here in one way or another has been in contact with either my dad or uncle in coaching or playing or training," he said. "In fact I just heard a guy who operated on my dad's arm when he broke it, he was real excited when he heard my name."</p> <p>If Matthews doesn't have the same longevity in the NFL he should be OK. He graduated from USC in Dec. 2008 with a major in international relations with a minor in business law.</p>

More...

2. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Hmmmm.....I think I mentioned him in another thread and got crapped on for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar