Pre-Game Thread Next Up: Texans @ Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Dec 28, 2016.

?
  1. Titans by 1-3

4.3%
  2. Titans by 4-6

8.7%
  3. Titans by 7-9

13.0%
  4. Titans by 10-13

13.0%
  5. Titans by 14+

17.4%
  6. Texans by 1-3

13.0%
  7. Texans by 4-6

13.0%
  8. Texans by 7-9

4.3%
  9. Texans by 10-13

4.3%
  10. Texans by 14+

8.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

Why would they want another win for a coach that is holding them and their star qb back

2. UnknownHinson

UnknownHinson Starter

What does your horrible opinion have to do with anything? The players and coaches still have a job regardless of circumstances. They still have a reason to play and to strive to be the best they can. Their livelihoods depend upon it. They have pride in what they do, and aren't going to just lay down and let another team walk all over them without making it as uncomfortable as possible.

It's called having a personal drive and possessing the motivation required to do your job as best you can, no matter who is watching. It's called trying to apply yourself and improve your craft every chance you get. It's called competitiveness. These players didn't get to the NFL by laying down when they thought they couldn't win. Instead, they used every snap as an opportunity to show themselves and the world how good they could be. Mularkey earned himself a job by showing he could win even when the fans thought it didn't matter. Try to tell that man that these games don't matter.

You honestly sound like you would be a horrible employee, and so does half of this board. "Wellllp, there goes my chance at getting employee of the year. Might as well just stop working hard and try again next year." "My bosses don't know what they are doing, I might as well just stop trying to do my job until the CEO gets some new managers in here. Surely they won't fire me before then..."

Remember when we didn't tank our final game of the 2014 season in order to secure the #1 pick? What the hell makes you think that we would do it now?

These are the new Titans, and they sure as hell aren't going to let teams out of Nashville without a Loss or a bloodied nose to show for it. You are clearly a fan of the old Titans team, which has relocated to Cleveland, if you are still interested.

#12 UnknownHinson, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  3. TitansWillWin2

That's not an apple to apple comparison. At work you don't get rewarded for doing poorly. If we lose we could move up in the draft and get someone that we might not have had the chance at if we win. And just maybe that is better long-term for the franchise. You fail to see the bigger picture which is why you would make a terrible manager in the workplace or in the nfl

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. UnknownHinson

UnknownHinson Starter

You don't understand that the players and coaches do not have the luxury of looking at the bigger picture. Players like Douglas, Matthews, Kline, Cassell, Simms, Blake, Woody, Williamson, byard, sharpe, those guys have something to prove. Half of those guys aren't guaranteed spots on the roster next year, they won't be willing to put on bad tape. Many more of them, too.

How badly do you think these old coaches want to prove the league wrong and show that they can win games? Winning records mean a lot to an NFL staff, including the GM and upper management. Mularkey, how bad does that guy want to show he can have a winning season? I guarantee you that having a winning record and tripling the team win total during his first season means everything to Jon Robinson. Amy wants butts in seats, which come from wins. Those are the people who matter. No one cares what you, TWW2, wants to happen. That's not what they play the game based upon.

And really, you think that NFL managers/coaches/assistants/owners want to throw a game? Name one successful coach or GM who has EVER admittedly or obviously thrown even a single game and kept their job in a successful manner. IT doesn't happen. (Lovie smith lost his job, although I will admit Jason Licht is still around.) And if it ever has, it was most certainly to move up 1 or 2 spots to the top of the draft for a QB. None of which are an option for us. Laying down because you didn't get it done is nothing short of pathetic.

Like honestly, by your logic, 20 teams should just try to lose week 17 in order to improve their draft position. Sounds fun, man.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  5. TitansWillWin2

well yeah thats why the gm, the manager, tells the coaches what to do in order to improve the future of the team. They don't say hey go lose this game on purpose. They say hey test the waters a little this week and play players that normally don't play and take risks and don't gameplan to win. Winning this week is pointless. The gm and coaches already know what they got at this point in the year. And if you think teams don't use the mentality i mentioned above then you're dumb. It happens all the time

6. UnknownHinson

UnknownHinson Starter

Show me a single source of that "happening all the time"... Literally the only times that the case could be truly made are the Bucs in 2014, which again was to go from #2 to #1 for a QB, and lost the coach his job. And then the Lions in '06 week 17 seemingly tried very hard to lose, also to improve from #2 to #1, but failed and had to take calvin johnson instead of Jamarcus Russell (oh god forbid). Other than that, both of which are loose speculation, find me a single source. Otherwise it is your vague word against every player, coach, or gm I can find talking about it. The subject is even brought up in books I've read by former GM Pat Kirwan and in Bill Walsh's book, and both reported not being aware of any during their time in the league, while being extremely candid about many other activities that were much more heinous. I can find you page numbers if you'd like.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  7. UnknownHinson

UnknownHinson Starter

I'm sorry, but sometimes bad teams just suck and end up losing games horribly, regardless of what week it is. Just because it happens to improve their draft position doesn't mean they threw the game.

8. EC2k BOP

EC2k BOP Starter

Man hate to see MM go down like he did. Praying for a speedy recovery.
    That being said you guys were the worst team in the chittiest division.
    And to think if the Texans win all time record Vs the tittans is .500. Lol.
    Wait till next year. Again.

9. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

Cancelled my red zone subscription a week early

This game means absouelty nothing

Lose for the draft pick but hopefully expose Savage if he plays and hit those guys in the mouth

Otherwise start looking toward the draft

10. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Beat the Texans just to prove that they can. Gives us the same overall record and proves that the Titans should have taken care of business. Maybe it will be a wake up call... They can't let close games slip away. They could have easily ran away with the division if only they could beat their opponents in the division.

Win the last game and end up with the same record as the division champs only to go home... That should leave a bad taste in their mouth and a reason to play harder next year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar