Next year's cap numbers?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ChitownTitan, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChitownTitan

ChitownTitan Guest

Profootballtalk is reporting that the titans are at 102 million for next year? Can this possibly be right?

Starkiller?

2. I'm not sure if $102 is entirely accurate, but certainly we're over.

But remember that it's all monopoly money. McNair isn't going to actually get his $50M bonus. Olson and Hopkins will not get their $5M bonuses (both probably get cut, though Hopkins could take a pay cut to stay).

Basically, the Titans aren't going to be gutting the team again to get under the cap. They may dump some high-priced players who haven't performed, but it's not going to be like last offseason.

3. Michi40

Michi40 Lost bullet

If it is monopolly money I lost my gameboard last christmas. We could use the money to get Freeny, or even better, the whole Chicago´s D.

Who wants the dices?!

lol

JC-150 millions... and i drive a japanese small car

4. ChitownTitan

ChitownTitan Guest

fair enough...

i had fogotten about mcnair's bonus coming due.

thanks as always to our resident capologist.

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

When it's all said and done, don't we expect to be something like 10 mil or more under the cap? So maybe we can take some more chances on some FA's.

6. Banshee2

Banshee2 Guest

As long as we learned our lesson and don't get back into this situation in 5 or so years...I actually have grown to like the "grow your own team" mentality we've taken on in the last few years. IMHO, the few expensive FA's we took on (Thigpin, Pickens, anyone?) weren't really all that helpful. Lance was good for a year, but eventually let go. I think maybe one decent FA and another good draft and we're back in the hunt.

And I don't think Freeney is going anywhere...

7. nendzone

nendzone All Titans, All the Time

Probably, but that may also be before they decide which of their own free agents to sign and before the rookie pool allocation.

They won't be big players in free agency. If they're lucky, they can get another couple lower-priced vets help fill out the roster. Maybe they'll find another bargain like KVB (well...that's a best case scenario, but maybe they'll still find a bargain).

8. I also don't see much in the way of big moves in free agency. We aren't going to be contenders. And with the league CBA up in the air, the Titans might not want to invest too heavily into free agents. Either way, the team generally prefers to build through the draft rather than spend big on someone else's free agents.

Plus, assuming they re-sign KVB I'm not sure there will be too much left to spend. If they can't afford him, I expect they will go more after value picks, role players, and depth.

9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I think we will be able to afford a good LB and a good OL plus KVB. The contracts that Kendrell Bell and Antonio Pierce signed last yr both counted around 2mil against the cap this yr because they have minimum base salaries and mod. signing bonuses. The numbers for the guards that got new contracts were similar. So by having them sign cap friendly deals we can afford a few guys. We all know that with the next CBA the cap is going to take a significant increase so why not go ahead and try to lock in a few good young FAs now with backloaded contracts. By the time the big portion of the contract is due the cap will be much higher. So I say spend the money on FAs this yr and give our young guys another yr before locking some of them up long term.

10. nendzone

nendzone All Titans, All the Time

They are more likely to invest that money in their own younger players, though. Like, say....Jacob Bell or Eugene Amano (whose contracts are up after 2006, I think).

The backloading thing is all relevative. The cap may be higher after 2007 (assuming the uncapped year doesn't kill the golden goose) but it will also cost you more to re-up your own players (or sign more free agents) because market prices will go up accordingly.

So if you backload too much on contracts you sign now, you'll still be back in a situation where you have less to spend later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar