Next year's cap numbers?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ChitownTitan, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hopkins could stay if he were to take a paycut, and he might be willing to stay in Nashville, but I don't think I'd start him at LT ahead of Roos anyway.

Olson is gone. He has a $5M bonus this offseason and there is no chance the Titans will pay it.

Hartwig could end up being anothr DiNapoli, asking for a lot of money. I wouldn't pay him much. They can just hand Amano the job or find someone else.

Piller could stay because he doesn't have a huge cap hit, but it's not impossible that he could be gone. Still, I'd rather keep him around at least 1 more year just to keep some measure of stability in the OLine.

I could bring back Tank for the minimum and let him compete for a starting job, but I certainly wouldn't guarantee him anything.

As for Kassell, I didn't like paying him $1M last year and he certainly hasn't lived up to it. I'd give him the same offer as Tank (minimum, chance to compete for playing time).

2. Same reason that he came back after the team cut all the other veterans and went into rebuilding mode. He makes a ton of money. If he wants to keep playing, they'll work something out financially. It's not like he can make another $7M-$10M working on the farm for 5 months out of the year.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If money is the only incentive, not much to add here. But he only lost ONE starting OL (and a gimpy one at that) and was promised an offense dedicated to keeping him off his backside.

With Bennett's production last in '04, you figure he would have been a least somewhat more productive as would Calico.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I know this is just ridiculus but why would not a guy like McNair do the O'Donnell thing, hang in town and stay on the team for 1M/y and be available/mentor for the QB's???

Heck Fisher would let him do that till he was 45

5. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

Would be nice, GoT. Especially if our QB of the future is Vince Young. :winker:

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

My concern with McNair is his year to year attitude. Not knowing if he will even be back each year should IMO reduce him down to roster bonus and salary only contracts. No way he should get close to his current salary either.

The comment TJ made about the production of the WRs has more than one dimension to it. No WR is going to catch the ball unless the ball is thrown his way. The WRs are not going to get good yardage stats if all they catch are 5 yard passes. As long as the WRs are running good routes and catching the ball when it is thrown their way they are doing all we can ask.
    For the most part Bennett has done that. Add in the poor blocking by the OL and the WRs have the deck stacked against them.
    Calico obviously is not fully recovered and has been a dissapointment. Although he was moving well last game he dropped a couple of passes.
    On the other hand the rookies have managed to step up fairly well at WR and the TE play has been pretty good.
    Still, if I was a FA WR looking for a team to play for where I could run up some impressive stats it wouldn't be the Titans. Look at Mason's production this year. Not terrible but he only has 2 TDs. Is he the problem?
    I wouldn't want to be a WR on the Texans or 49ers either.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

One thing to think about here as far as McNair's contract goes, there are other factors involved that may come into play.

You have three rookie WRs who will likely be close to their peak in 2-3 more seasons assuming that Jones, Williams and Roby all continue to develop as planned. How much longer can McNair go? 2-3 years?

Would the Titans want a McNair with likely more declining skills and injury issues at the point or the future QB with a couple of seasons of experience as well?

8. CanadaTitan

CanadaTitan Guest

i thought i remember readign a while back that were 6 million under this year then next year were like 27 million under

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Very good point. We want the WRs, OL and QB all peaking at the same time and the only way for our QB to be able to do that is to get drafted this year, and get inserted into the lineup ASAP.
    Volek is signed and cheap. I say let McNair walk or retire, give Volek the reigns and draft a potential future QB. If Volek does well fine, if he doesn't play the young guy. It is time to not think year to year but 3-5 years down the road.

Keeping Henry is looking better the more I look at it as well. Having a feature RB for only 2% of your total CAP is ridiculously cheap. If Brown is willing to stay at a decent CAP hit we still can have two quality backs for only about 5% of the CAP. Figure in the savings at QB with Volek and we have plenty of $$ to sign FAs as well.

10. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I think Steve will agree to whatever contract the Titans offer him. He has always renegotiated in the past to help out the team, and he doesn't seem like the type than needs his ego puffed up by wanting a bigger contract that some other QB.
    He's set financially, he's loyal, he wants to play here, he will be the team player and do what they want (need) him to do, like he always has.

That's just the impression I get, but I have no idea really...:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar