NFL owners unanimous, will opt out of labor deal

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

NFL owners have voted unanimously to opt out of a labor contract, which will now expire in 2011. ...more

[​IMG]

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Interesting read. I suspect there will be little serious movement on a deal until late 2009 or early 2010 on this. I just hope they don't screw this up.

3. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Any kind of work stoppage would be terrible. I don't expect it will come to that, but it's certainly a possibility.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Whom do you mean by "they"?

5. TitanJeff

"They" are the owners AND player's union.

The NFL is the best professional sport going for a number of reasons. The key one, IMO, is parity the salary cap provides. Every fan of every NFL franchise can be hopeful that their team has a good opportunity to be playing in January.

Right now, I have little sympathy for either side. Contacts are at a record high. Team revenues continue to climb. The TV contracts won't be going anywhere but up. I honestly don't see the need to do anything dramatic which will change the product they currently have.

6. JMB54

JMB54 Waitin on a Win!

Players wouldnt like my ideas, but to me the profit sharing should level out about 50/50. Contracts players sign today are just crazy. Sure, I dont blame them for every penny they can get but a line needs to be drawn somewhere. On the flip side I know owners are still making millions, but it takes millions to run a business like this. In the end I believe it will get worked out to everyones likings because there is to much to lose by both sides.

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I agree with you JMB54. It should be 50/50. The owner's put up the venture capital- the players provide the service. 60% to labor isn't standard in any business- at least those that last.

Players can be replaced, capital reserve can't.

This is going to get ugly. No way the players want to give up what they have and the owner's aren't going to settle for less than 50%. There is better opportunity elsewhere.

8. TitanJeff

If that 10% led to lower ticket and beer prices, I'd be all for it. But it won't.

I have no problem with the players getting 60%. The NFL is a player-based league. They pour a lot of money into the league to market the players. They have tons of league rules they must follow in order to project the "image" the NFL demands. The owners benefit from the hero-worship.

A player's career in the NFL averages 3.5 seasons. In 2000, the average salary in the league was $1.1 million. I assume it's closer to $1.8 now but nothing like the contracts the top 100 or so players in the league get.

But I have little sympathy for either side in this debate. I'd leave it alone at 40/60 but require rookie contracts to be four seasons before two mandatory restricted free agency years and standardize the rookie pay structure.

9. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

No cap = about 5 good teams, rest of them horrible

10. TitanJeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar