NFL Players should be paid more...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

this title should evoke some debate.

imo football is def the most dangerous of the U.S's premier sports and in comparison to some (ie baseball) nfl players should indeed be paid more.

"About $4 million in cap room was added when a "cash-adjustment mechanism" was triggered after spending on players fell below 59.5 percent of the league's total revenue in 2008, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told The Associated Press on Friday." ..to make it 12 m up totalin to 128M per team... -- tenneseean.com

although...not all should be paid more...some should actually be paid less...in some cases a lot less (ie top selection rooks, albe, the 100M qb club, etc...) in the favor of some other players. ...the players r essentially the league...60% aint just for such a brutal sport. backups arnt paid enough either. they get injured quite a lot too (maybe not as much as starters but still)..they put thier bodies on the line (speical teams is prob the most dangerous unit) and for a lot less money. also, as weve seen countless times...backups can be superstars just waitin for a chance (some of which never even get...until its too late or not at all)...they should def be gettin more money.

i wonder how many stars never got a chance to shine...nothing you can do bout that...only 32 teams w/ 24 starters (includin kicker n punter hahha)

...but doenst mean that the distribution of funds couldn't be at least a bit less discriminatory....

(plz do not throw in things like the credit crunch and stuff like that in this thread....famous ppl get paid bottom line...and this title is somewhat misleading...really im arguing for a better distribution of money over the players...and that i think they deserve more than 59% of the league's yearly revenue...as the 'little guys' need to get paid..and i dont see the 'big guys' takin income cuts...or at least significant ones...)

2. Stephenson

Stephenson Camp Fodder

Hi, I'm Albert Haynesworth!

3. JMB54

JMB54 Waitin on a Win!

I wavier back and forth on this subject. If I were a player, I'm sure 60% would seem high enough but as a common fan I wonder how much do these men really believe their worth. Take Big Al. I truely believe he is one of the best at his position but is any one man worth 100 million dollars to do anything? Sure its the going rate and that is set by agents and GMs but where does it stop. The NFL is much more than a sport. Its a huge business. Its a head scratcher at best. I'm glad I dont have to make the decisions on either side.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Yea sure why not. If half these jerk offs were not playing NFL football they would be lucky to make $25,000 a year. Yea, go pay them more than they already get undeserving.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I'd be curious to see what percentages of revenues that other sports give to the players... 60% seems like a lot, considering the overhead.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

they don't need to be paid more, they need guaranteed contracts. that means guys wouldn't be holding out for the magical $100 million contract that they won't see half of.

7. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

I would seriously support a rookie salary cap or structure and leave more room for the vets who are actually making the league what it is. Like the NBA did. A first rounder knows what he's gonna make.....period.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

MLB players need to be paid less. Much much much less.

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I disagree. Football players should be paid more than MLBers, and baseball players are paid fairly. If you are at the top of your game, you are one of the best in the world. You should be a multi-millionaire for years to come.

MLB players can live a good life, physically after their sport, the same can't necessarily be said about NFLers.

Careers are much shorter in the NFL too. They should be paid extremely well for the short time they are in.

The organizations are getting filthy rich, while the players are getting their heads busted, and seeing very little of it. If you are a backup in the NFL, you should be making millions, in my opinion.

MLB treats their players a lot better, that's for sure.

10. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Someone is worth exactly the amount as a willing employer is willing to pay. If NFL GM's weren't paying enough, there would not be any players willing to work...and vice versa. If a player making $5m a year thinks he's worth $8m, he should strike until he is paid that amount. He will find very quickly he is worth what the highest bidder is willing to pay. Or he can find a new career where he can earn that $8M he needs to get by.

Rookies will continue to be worth insane money as long as owners are paying it. It reminds me of the housing boom...year after year they keep going up an unsustainable amount, and we will see a huge crash soon, as we should. We always hear about the horror stories of the few that lost $, but never hear about the homeowner who got a 100% loan with $0 down and sold their house 2 years later and made 6 figures. Why don't reporters report those cases? I've yet to see one reported, although I know significantly more people who made money during the boom than have lost money during the leveling out.

Back to the topic; it is almost in a teams best interest to not have to pay a 1st overall pick $60 million. If he is a bust, you have destroyed your franchise for more than just 1 or 2 seasons. If that's not holding the worst teams down, I'm not sure what is in what is supposedly a parity driven league. The way unproven players are paid on the free market almost ensures the exact opposite.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar