NFL rule changes

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

yeah, they changed some interference rules to raise the scoring
    now they've got to much :eh?:

jk

i like the 5yard face mask change
    i'll have to get to ya on the force out
    there have ben times in the past where i was thinking of how it would be to be the opposite ... like a 1 foot down rule as in college

2. OswegoTitan41

OswegoTitan41 Starter

i don't understand the new deal with the coin toss, someone care to explain?

3. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

-Getting rid of the force out was a horrible, horrible idea, that knocked a team out of playoff contention a few years back if I do remember correctly.
    -Facemask change is good, you hate to see a guy make a tackel get a little mask and its now 1st and 10 instead of 3rd or 4th down. They left the 15 yarder for intentional facemask which was good

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Force out gone? That's retarded. Say good bye to jump balls in the corners of endzones and passes to the side lines. The safeties/corners will just shove the guy out.
    Stupid rule change.

5. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

I agree Gloat

Fore the Coin Toss, think of freestyle wrestling, where a wrestler can choose which position, or let the other wrestler choose it, and you get dibs on the next period.

With the coin toss rule, the old choices when you won the toss was to either recieve/kick the ball, while the other team got precedent to choose to recieve/kick at the half (unlike madden). Now, a team can choose to defer the choice of the kickoff to the 2nd half, while the other team gets the choice the first time.

Hope that helps :ha:

6. OswegoTitan41

OswegoTitan41 Starter

ehhh, i still am not sure i fully get it

7. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

From what I can tell there are three choices kick/receive,choice of endzone, or defer until second half.
    http://ncaa.org/library/rules/2004/2004_football_rules.pdf

a. The winner of the toss shall choose one of the following options for the
    first or second half at the beginning of the half selected:
    1. To designate which team shall kick off.
    2. To designate which goal line his team shall defend.
    b. The loser shall choose one of the above options for the half the winner
    of the toss did not select.
    c. The team not having the choice of options for a half shall exercise the
    option not chosen by the opponent.
    d. If the winner of the toss selects the second-half option, the referee shall
    use [S10].

I have yet to find what [S10] refers to. I figured that if they were using collegiate rules I would look those up.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

A few years back, they eliminated any contact by a defender beyond five yards. To me, this new change gives a little back to the defense.

9. Previously, the team that LOSES the coin toss got the option to kick or receive to start the start the 2nd half, and obviously they always chose to receive. So the team that WON the toss always chose to receive in the 1st half.

Now the team that wins the toss can essentially decide which half they'd rather receive the kickoff in (which has been the rule in college forever, as has it been in Madden).

10. OswegoTitan41

OswegoTitan41 Starter

aaaahhh, alright, i got ya, thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar