NFL Rule: Possession Until End of Play in End Zone

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CRUDS, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Is it just me or does this rule seem completely wonky?
    Obviously it cost The Titans an important TD yesterday but in general the rule seems to fly in the face of long-standing NFL cliches like "The ground can't cause a fumble" or "possession in any part of the endzone is a TD".
    I recall seeing guys pass the ball over an endzone marker and never touching the ground in the end zone and it still be called a touchdown. There's a famous example of a player being carried over a portion of the end zone by a defender (Steelers/Broncos playoff game) never touching his feet on the ground and it was a TD. Maybe those are extreme scenarios that didn't work correctly but it seems they have really over compensated with this "end of play" rule - which Murphy's Law says inevitably will only serve to rob us of TDs rather than opponents..

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

That rule has changed over the years

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

as long as they are consistent I have no problem with it

therefore I hate it

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. NcTitans_fan

NcTitans_fan Starter

megatron had a Td catch I think last year or the year before that he caught got both feet down and when he fell down on the ground out of bounds the ball came out and it was rulled an incomplete..I remember thinking there was no way that wasn't a catch.. but refs gonna ref

#4 NcTitans_fan, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Obviously - to the point of absurdity.
    How about if you have possession at any time within the boundaries of the endzone it is a touchdown?

6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I've thought the same thing. But honestly, in today's NFL where the rules so heavily favor the offense anyway, I'm not going to make a big stink about it.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Between Pollard not handling the ball and this absurd non-TD I think these two plays were those sparks that could potentially turn a bad game around.
    If a strange rule plays a part in that it sticks with me..

8. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

i don't think the "ball can't cause a fumble" applies to receptions since the WR is trying to establish possession

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

That was the biggest robbery of a TD I have ever seen. There is the letter of the law and then there's when you can plainly see a guy catch the ****ing ball and common sense says there was nothing wrong with the play.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  10. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I hear you on the Pollard INT. But the TD thing, not so sure. We had already rolled over for another 10 points and were 16 down at that time. I am just not sure if scoring there would have made a difference for us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar