NFL Sensationalism

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by avvie, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

At my other fave hangout, this subject was brought up. I'm going to cut and paste some excepts here.

From Joe B:
    Kingpatzer:
    Quasar:
    Frankly, I'm sick of it too.
    Joe Horn gave a beautiful post-game interview with Susie Colbert, and it was nice the way he directed the glory of the win towards the fans rather than the team....something about how the fans have been through a lot, and it's great to play for them in their home stadium again. Delivered that way, it seems earnest, and takes up all the time it needs to, and nothing more.
    But this whole thing of treating the game and especially the win as some kind of consolation prize for hurricane victims cheapens both the game and the tragedy, IMO. It's very hard to feel sympathetic when you know you're being manipulated.

Your thoughts?

2. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

Yeah the game almost had a feel that it was rigged.
    Even the way Vick played made me think he might be throwing the game. I know the game wasn't rigged but all the Pre Hype made it seem as though

3. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

doesn't bother me...(the katrina stuff tonight)

4. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

What I thought was interesting, was the moment were Kornheiser was going to tear apart Reggie Bush for all his college transgressions, and put the question to the booth, but the booth deflected it big time and tried to talk about how much Bush has done for the city and how that was in the past. Kornheiser was cut off before he got to the throat of the situation.

I thought that was a decisive moment for monday night football.

You can have truthful telecast or you can have a hype machine. I think there is a place for both. Don't get me wrong, but...

They brought Kornheaiser in for this type of thing, to create some contreversy and stir the pot, and yet they shut his *** right down when it counted most. He was about to create the dichotomy of the night. Comparing and contrasting both sides of Reggie Bush. It would have been a thing of journalistic beauty before it got squashed. And no doubt would have made some people cringe.

I understand the thought process, trying to keep the "dream" game alive, but I thought it was an important discussion to have since it is not in the past. The Transgressions have yet to come out. And while Bush is doing all this good, he's basically denied everything that happened in college. Which I am guessing is going to be tragic flaw of his. Whatever the truth is, I got a gut feeling Bush is at fault. And he is failing to come clean.

At any rate. Like I said. I don't mind that they tried to build this game up. Sometimes you need that. Often times a telecast can be too critical of the game ( see the nba dunk contest ) to its own detriment. But I was dissapointed they skirted the Reggie Bush situation myself.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

The game call was kinda gay, I agree. What was with Joe Theisman going on and on about the slow surface? I got so sick of him. I just wanted to pretend that I was watching a normal game. I can't believe just how poorly the Falcons played. What aboult, excuse my spelling, Alge Crumpler? You know, Atlanta's TE, #83 I think? What is his deal? He sucks man. I thought he was some kind of all pro TE. He couldn't catch a cold last night .

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I saw it as a celebration for the City of New Orleans.

Maybe it was exploitation to some degree but the NFL was behind the cause from the beginning. With all the work left to be done, it was a good way for people to understand the situation down there isn't anywhere close to complete and help is still needed. It also illustrated how New Orleans is back as far as a tourist city which should help generate revenue. It was much better publicity than the city could have bought.

Though I agree that area musicians could have been used, who is going to appeal to more across the U.S.? U2 and Green Day or Aaron Neville, some Zydeco or a jazz/blue band with much less following? I thought it was an excellent production which rivaled the Superbowl for entertainment.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I could have done without the sensationalism myself. The focus of the entire game call seemed not to be on the game itself but on the stage which it was played which in my opinion is just bad commentary. I am happy for New Orleans, and I'm glad they gave the city coverage for what it has been through, but once the ball was kicked off I would have liked it much better had it been more ordinary. Isn't that what New Orleans wants anyhow? A sense of normalcy?

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

NO WAS devastated and probably won't EVER recover economically. The big business "show-case" done about 6 months ago was a bust. None of the major companies are interested in "re-investing" in the area. The face of the city was wiped off.

I don't mind the NFL and ESPN doing something good to help re-establish some tourism or trade commerce for the area. It's for the greater good. I can sacrifice the insult to my sensibilities with their mainstream "hype" efforts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar