NFL to have no salary cap after 2009?!!!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by KingTitan25, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

I wasn't saying players don't want to get paid, but I think most players realize how bad it would be for the league. The NFL has done nothing but gain popularity and expand since they put the salary cap in, if it's not broke why fix it?

2. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

When it was a free for all, nobody even knew who was on the team anymore. It became a horrible thing for the fans. I remember that much.

3. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

Really? I hope that was sarcasm. Until free agency and the salary cap, players stayed with their teams for their whole careers. Many people that use to follow the NFL don't now due to just the fact that they have to learn all the coming and going of indivduals on the team that they follow.

4. Because teams won't have to spend as much money as they do, either. It will look like baseball, where a few teams have huge payrolls and others have tiny payrolls. And backups will be getting offers below the rookie minimum of today.

The salary cap sets up how much teams have to pay players. If that's gone, there's no reason the owners can't just decide that current contracts are too high and offer less.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Exactly. Right now every team basically pays out close to 100% of their CAP available. It keeps the amount consistent that gets paid overall to players. The total amounts paid throughout are league is consistent, fair and even the bottom paid guys get a decent amount. They won't mess with the current system.

6. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

But that's due more to free agency than the salary cap, so if you get rid of the salary cap but keep free agency then player movement would probably get crazier.

7. Rebel Titan

Not really, free agency and the salary cap go hand in hand. They both started in 1993. Until that time players tended to stay with one team their whole careers.

8. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

I still don't see what the salary cap has directly to do with player movement, and the discussion has nothing to do with getting rid of free agency (unless I missed something) but with getting rid of the salary cap, which would only make free agency crazier as contracts would get bigger and it'd take more to keep the great UFAs from testing the market.

9. Rebel Titan

I was replying to PhiSlammaJamma and the idea that there was a free for all before the salary cap. I also think that if there was no salary cap, only a few of the owners would spend large amounts of money on players. I think they are too greedy and that is why the players went on strike to get the concessions they have now.

10. There would be only 1 year without a cap anyway. After that, the CBA would expire and there would be a lockout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar