Nick Harper - Ouch

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanium, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titanium

Titanium TITANFN Staff

I just read the article where Nick said that we didn't adjust, including our coaching staff. Well, Nick got roasted, toasted and embarrased yesterday. He should have just said "I sucked" and left it at that.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Cecil supposedly puts more pressure on his corners and it appears it's not working. Finnegan hasn't looked as good as he did last season and Harper is becoming a liability in coverage. I'm not seeing Grif or Hope showing that they are among the league's best.

If this continues, you can bet it'll show last year was a fluke and that the only reason they saw success was due to the pressure Haynesworth provided. I'm not saying signing big Al solves everything but it's obvious to me that the entire Titans defense hinges on DT play.

Time to Cecil to find some answers.

3. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

From what I saw, it seemed like Finny stayed with Andre Johnson stride for stride. Everytime they got a big pass off, the safeties bit on the play action, and harper would let Johnson run right by him and Finny would be playing Jones.

It seemed like Harper wasn't even making an effort because they had Johnson almost every play and Harpers help was somewhere else on the field.

I wondered why Finny wasn't playing Johnson the whole game?

I watched the game on TV, so I didn't see the whole field when all of this was going down. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Props for not letting them run the ball. I know they say that you have to stop the run to win in the NFL, but at the cost of giving up a 50 yard play?

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I agree with Jeff, but I don't know that you can say that Harper is becoming a liability in coverage. I thought Harper did what Harper always does, which is tackle well but get torched deep. The problem this year seems to be that the safety help over the top is often nowhere to be found (particularly Griffin) and the d-line isn't getting nearly as much pressure as last year, so the QB has all the time he needs to wait for routes to develop.

I'm not that worried about the safeties because I think their mistakes can be corrected. The lack of pressure from the d-line really has me worried, though. I was one of the people who thought that the line wouldn't miss Haynesworth too much and in the first half of the Pittsburgh game it looked like I was right. Since there, there line has generated next to nothing in terms of pass pressure.

5. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

All I know is our run D has been really good, but if it is taking both safeties dropping down for that to be effective then we are in deep, deep trouble.

This run of games leading to the bye week is full of teams that can beat you throwing regardless of a running game...and right now I would rather some team run around all day long than kill us with big pass plays the way we got tore up yesterday.

I imagine Sanchez is going to continue his run to ROY status next week if our D doesn't make a very significant improvement over this week.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Harper sucked! Plain and simple. Why is he on Johnson all day!?! OMG. I knew Andre Johnson would feast on our secondary if we let him. We looked slow and stupid out there Sunday. I am ashamed of that defensive effort yesterday. Thank God were not waiting another 10 days to wash out this bad taste. The Jets beat out Tom Brady and the Patriots yesterday, maybe this next game wont be such a gimme as previously believed. But then again neither was this Texan game. We better start playing ball the right way or we'll be 0-3. I'm tired of the number three. Kicking threes or losing by threes. I hate that number now. At least we didn't lose to the Texans 13-10.

On a positive note our offense showed tons of ability. Except for late in the game. Once again Collins losses another one in the 4th. A roster filled in by AARP doesn't help win games. Fisher; you need to give C.J. the ball more than you've been giving it to him!

7. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

They need to split CJ out wide like they did on his TD catch. That move right there will cause mismatches galore. The QB can then more or less determine who to throw to by whoever the opposing D sends out there to cover him.

That sure sounds like being a liability. And you forgot to add Harpers MULTIPLE costly fouls yesterday.
    We are going to have to make one of the following changes:
    1. Bench Harper and put in a corner that can actually keep up with deep threat WRs.
    2. Cecil removes head from rectum and allows Finny to cover the opposing teams WR regardless of where he lines up on the field.

Oh, and add 'ensure that Griffin and Hope stay the f### in their spots during run plays, and stop biting on the PA and pump fakes like couple of overzealous children' to your list Cecil.

8. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

You know...we may have given it to him way too many times in predictable moments yesterday. Seemed we abandoned the TEs and WRs yesterday in hopes CJ would bail this offense out....which he did on two occasions. That 92 yd run on the draw yesterday was just amazing.

However...I have yet to see us stretch the middle of the field with a TE...we can only cross and up-and-out for some reason. Texans torched us with TEs down the seam yesterday.

And we should take the screen out of our playbook...we cannot run one to save our lives.

9. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

Harper had the PI calls and gave up a TD to Johnson, but IMO Griffin is the one causing most of the breakdowns. Harper said in todays Tennessean article that they have guys out there basically doing what they want to do and not playing within the defense. I think he is talking about Griffin. Griffin was repeatedly out of position and getting drawn in by playaction. He wasn't playing responsibly AT ALL. Main key to how the Titans secondary plays is to keep everything in front of you, dont allow the big play and make solid tackles. Griffin apparently thinks he has the makeup speed to let one of the leagues best receivers get behind him. Remember the same exact thing happened last year against the Texans. Griffin lets Andre Johnson behind him, Touchdown.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Harper (and Jake Scott) are the last people that should be pointing fingers at any other player.
    Harper, you might want to admit your epic screw ups of yesterday before you start saying someone else was out of place. Hell, you couldn't even make plays WHILE playing within the defense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar