Nnamdi Asomugha

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Hammer, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Finnegan signed a 5 year 50 mil contract with 27 guaranteed and a 5 mil bonus. He's not worth all that and even though he's better than what we have it's not that far off. Finnegan probably isn't even a top CB in his division.

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

well he is going against Sherman and I think Peterson......so no.......

3. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

JCBRAVE
    RavensShallBurn
    BiscoPhan11
    The Hammer

hahhahahah!!! ma man jessestylex

that guy was absolutely crazyyyy!!! the things he'd say, i'm sure he didn't even believe em (or maybe he did, who knows?), but he was real good at getting a 'stir' on these boards. i'd be mistaken if i said i didn't miss his crazy a** contributions, he definitely helped keep things interesting.

we suck now, so i'm guessing he lost interest in posting (hoping all those things u guys said about him rn't true, i always thought all that was just a front for him to be a cray 'moe fu*a). i'm sure the moment we are competitive again, he'll come back here to hate some more.

4. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Finnegan was among the best in the league this season.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

We need to consider the context. First of all we did sign a CB, McCourty, to a 6 yr, 44 mil contract. So the question really is if we are going to sign one of these guys is it better to spend a little more (10 mil/yr) to get the overall better CB who is one of the leagues best NBs or do we sign a guy who one could argue is easier to replace for a little less (7.3).

Now I first believed the rationale was that they felt they had a solid NB in Verner and that still might be some of thier thinking. So long term they would plan to use Verner like Finny. But we didn't see that last year. Maybe we see it this year. Cody S. was a rookie and Campbell was still raw although much improved. So if the plan is to keep Verner at NB and to rotate in either Cody S or Campbell to the outside the plan makes sense but they will have to pay Verner. So assume just for the heck of it Verner plays well and gets a contract around what McCourty got is it better to have two CBs locked up at 14 mil or one at 10. That actually makes sense if Verner can shine at NB which I think is critical in this pass happy league.

Bottom line is teams need to have more than one high paid and very good CBs on the roster to be successful. But make no mistake about it Finny is a high value guy. He is very good. So it still remains to be seen how Verner works out. McCourty had a little bit of a down year and really isn't a great man on man guy. He does tackle well and has deep speed but he doesn't have the short area quickness of an elite CB. Of course the thing Finny doesn't have is ht.

IMO if Verner can be that solid ouside guy but an even better NB we need to pay him. CB isn't any different than most positions in the NFL were you want to have a guy or two you keep and pay while you keep cycling in rookies to develop to eventually take their spot when it is time to pay them. Then if Campbell or Cody S blossoms into a quality player they can get paid later.

The thing is we signed McCourty to a six year deal. His contract isn't up until 2017. Maybe that was the mistake. The good however is his signing bonus was only 9 mil so in the later years of his deal the dead money isn't going to be that great. So the FO did very well in structuring this deal.
    For example, McCourty's base pay in 2015 jumps to 6.8 mil. But he only has 3.6 mil left on his bonus. So if they decide he isn't worth the near 7 mil a year they can part ways with him and save a little on the CAP as early as 2015.

6. oilerstruck

oilerstruck Hall of Fame

No problem but he needs to prove his worth all over again. 1 year with options at a low price - yes. Mega bucks with a long term - no

7. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

That stunt Cortland pulled with Andre Johnson really hurt his rep and then storming out of training camp didn't help his case. I think at that point there was never any real chance of keeping him without tagging him. Sucks because I really miss his scrappiness.

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I still agree with not bringing Finnegan back I just wish we had another CB so Verner could've stayed inside. I didn't have a problem with giving McCourty that contract, he's been a good CB for us that we were hoping to develop into a #1 CB but he's just a #2 CB now. By not bringing Finny back they should've had a plan instead of just basically sticking with the same guys.

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Finnegan counts for $15M towards the cap this year, no way his play warrants that figure.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Finny would have stayed for a 10 mil a year contract and that is the average of his current contract. Now as I said previously I think we could have gone either way based on the plan but would assume the plan is to try and keep Verner so they have a long term solution at NB along with McCourty. If Campbell or Cody S can step up we will have that other outside guy we need. The Titans were in a tough spot last year because Cody was a rookie and Campbell was still a little raw. That should change this year and hopefully one of them steps up to be at least an outside guy that can come in when we go nickel / dime.

People always try to label WRs and CBs as #1s and #2s. In reality with CBs there are only a few true shut down CBs in the entire league (Revis for example) and Finny wasn't one of them. So while it is nice to have a shut down guy it is almost better to have three real good guys so you don't have a weakness. Very few CBs are going to be able to cover the leagues best WRs without some S help anyway.

By the way has anyone reported that we signed George Wilson?
    2 yr - 4 mil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar