No comments on Schwartz?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Either way you look at it bigtitan... You obviously expected this team to be pretty good and I didn't. I'm not really surprised by the way that they're playing and, personally, I think they're showing signs of potential even with the evil Schwartz at the helm of the D... No one expected them to be any good this year and they aren't so what's the big deal. They stink. We could nit-pick at lots of different things and have valid points.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

jacksonville's defensive players

starters:
    stroud 6
    henderson 5
    spicer 7
    mathis 4
    williams 5
    grant 7
    darius 9(out for season) back up is gerald sensabaugh 2 years
    hayward 6(out for season) back up is bobby mccray 3 years
    peterson 8(out for season) back up is daryl smith 3 years
    ingram r

back ups not starting:
    starks 2 years
    iwuh r
    webb r
    mcdaniel r
    stanley r
    cordova 3 years
    gilbert 4 years
    carroll 3 years
    sorenson 6 years

average experience is 3.3(note i did not count the players out for season since they are not starting/playing)

average experience for our defense is 3.32. age is not an excuse anymore.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff you are kidding right?

You asked what about 2001-2003. I already addressed that. In 2001 our defense sucked. We were pretty good in 2002 and 2003 but not dominant and with that personel we should have been. In the 2002 playoffs we gave up 31 points to tommy maddox and 41 to the raiders. I named the entire starting defense in 2003 and defy anyone to tell me that bunch isn't comparable to the 99-2000 unit in talent.

A lot was made about our run defense in that time but who the hell wouldn't have a good run defense with a front four of kearse-haynesworth-r smith and carter? Linebackers bulluck and godfrey as well as sirmon before his injury. We had both rolle and dyson as well and schulters. Why would it be a grand accomplishment to finish 13th in scoring defense with that unit?

Simply blowing off the talent on this team doesn't excuse having one of the leagues worst defenses. If we have the 25th best talent on that side of the ball and finish 30th in total and scoring defense that means they didn't do their job! We added 3 quality free agents and have become worse!

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Is titan jeff catholic?

Pope jeff?

He might be, seems that he is willing to absolve jimmy schwartz of a multitude of coaching sins just because of one decent game. How many hail marys and our fathers does jimmy have to say jeff? Maybe after another season and a half of a bottom dwelling defense we can sneak in another decent game and get absolution yet again. Geez...

Are we that starved for a winner here that we have that kind of response to one win?

Go my son and sin no more..... ??? How about don't let the door hit you in the buttocks!

5. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

What's wrong with being Catholic?

6. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

My expectation is that we compete. Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't. That, my friend, has nothing to do with the personnel. If you have the personnel to play with Colts, then why did you get creamed the week before? You obviously have the personnel. You always say that Schwartz never gets credit for the defense when the play well. The same can be said for the we don't have any talent argument. We have enough talent to play with best team in the league but we don't have talent. Which one is it? I try to be consistent. My argument is we have more talent that what is being portrayed on the field. Do we have pro bowlers at every position? Of course not but could each and everyone of our players play better? Of course. Do I see someone with more experience and possibly an different approach get more out of the players that we have? Yes. That is the premise of my argument. You could simply change your defensive style to aggressive and get better immediately. Since that is not in the cards for Schwartz, I lobby for a replacement.

just my two cents

7. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Nothing. That's why he prefers the "stay the course" approach to the Titans defense.

8. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

TJ, for the record now, in the past and always in the future schwartzie sucks, teams don't fear the Titans D anymore and will not until the "devil in the red hat" is gone from our sidelines. Do you really want to brag about a d that gave up as many yards as we did last week. We won because of big plays from the running game, p-thugs punt return and that is all. Westbrook was gashing for 7-9 yards in the second half.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It's pretty comical that the best you can do here is point out two games against top offenses in back-to-back PLAYOFF SEASONS.

In '02, the defense finished #9 despite a horrible 1-4 start and giving up a ton of offense. After that point, besides giving up 29 to the Giants in a win, only two teams put up more than 20 on the Titans the rest of the season. Whether you believe the Pro Bowl means anything or not, there were no Titans who made that unit that season. Kearse played only four games and Godfrey played eight though wasn't close to what he'd been the previous two seasons.

In '03, the defense finished #13 yet ranked #1 in rushing defense. It wasn't even close as they beat the #2 rushing D by nearly 150 yards. Though I hated to see the Titans go to that semi-prevent so often in the second half of games when they had big leads, it's hard to argue with 10-4. I also have no doubt that it kept the Titans from being a top 10 defense that season.

This is really the only part of your post which makes a valid point, IMO.

Though I totally agree that the experience and talent has improved since last season, we have a number of factors here that you must also consider including injuries to Robaire Smith, a five game suspension of Haynesworth, KVB who isn't getting to the QB as often, Pacman out a game, Hill regressing, LT being LT, Sirmon not being anything close to what is needed at MLB and injuries to Long, Odom and LaBoy which means the Titans are starting a guy who was on the streets two months ago at RDE and playing a rookie in the DT rotation.

Add to that Thornton who has been hurt and I don't know if, game for game, the Titans D has much more than it had last year.

Now add in the fact that the schedule is much tougher and the Titans offense can't string together drives and the defense is on the field too much.

Having said all that, I've been critical of Schwartz at times and would love to see an upgrade. But I don't see any DC coming in here and making this unit what it needs to be until we get a MLB who can be more of a force in the middle and a RDE who can rush the passer. We also have to have more consistent play at the #2 CB and FS.

I think we saw on Sunday the impact of having just one or two of those positions step up.

10. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

The way I see it the Titans didn't fare any better before Haynesworth got suspended so that argument really isn't valid. I as recall the fact that the defense was getting manhandled was the reason some cited for Albert "losing" it. Also, they got their first win with him out, I know you will correct me if I am wrong. Why is Hill regressing, why is KVB not getting to the QB despite the fact that the Titans have upgraded with Hope, Thornton, Pac has a year of exeperience, etc. That is the premise of my argument against Schwartz. Did KVB forget how to sack the QB?

We did not have consistent play at FS and #2 CB last year either, however this year the defense is worse. I will say this about the defense being on the field too long. You can use that argument in the 4th when you actually held them all game long but when you start out the gate allowing score's on the 1st and 2nd drives that isn't a valid argument. Now I am confused, is the players on defense or is the fact that the offense isn't any good? Yes, I am being sarcastic.

Like I said before. Schwartz will never be able to beat the NFL's best OCs. Do we need better players on D? Yes. Does the offense need to be more productive? Yes. Would the defense be better if the above two things happen? Maybe. If we had the most talented defense in the league would be ranked in the top 5 or 10? Probably not. Why? Because they will not play aggressive and that is what wins in the National Football League.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar