No Punt Football

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by The Hammer, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

Sounds like a Madden game (elite players, not typical bums on xbox live).. the reason it works in Madden is because the offense is way more effective than the defense is, so you usually can't afford to punt. The NFL is turning into an offensive game with all the rule changes, and this would eventually happen if it gets out of control. I hope it never does.

The one thing I do like is that it makes stops on defense more exciting. When you get a stop on 3rd down and go out to receive a punt, it kinda feels like you're being given the ball as opposed to earning it. You also get backed up 50 or so yards. When you get a stop on 4th down, you get the ball right then and there, which is far more satisfying than getting a punt.

There would have to be rule changes if this ever became popular, like shortening quarters to avoid basketball like scores. The onside kicking part is bullsh*t though.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Let someone in the NFL do it. Onside kicks are recovered about 10% of the time. I wouldn't mind starting offense within FG range 90% of the time.

3. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

I would think onside kick recovery was below 10% in the NFL. Pretty sure i heard the Patriots recovered their first onside kick of the Belichick era just this year! The Titans tried about 4 and recovered 1 in a 3 game span... a lot of luck involved in recovering an onside kick.

4. Razorbacks

Razorbacks #WooPIgSooie

I guess if you ALWAYS went for it and especially if you ALWAYS onside kicked.. you are bound to get decent at it after a while

5. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Statistics show that a "surprise" onside kick has a huge advantage over onside kicks the other team knows is coming. Meaning the more you do it, the less chance to recover in most cases. The "study" I read showed a 65% recovery rate on surprise kicks..it dropped to nearly 10% when it was an obvious onside situation. Not sure on the specifics and there are a lot of variables..but in my opinion there's more luck involved than skill when it comes to onside kicks. If you kick them every time and the other team knows this...I think the recovery rate would be very low.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Razorbacks

Razorbacks #WooPIgSooie

true true.. unless onside kicking became as much a part of your game as anything else and you recruited players specifically for that purpose

7. RTH

RTH Meh...

Here's the only issue I see. The other team will know and fully prepared.

Still like to see it...

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

So if it's 4th and 20... you'd still go for it?

I think in moderation this would work. Never punt on 4th and 5 or less...

9. RTH

RTH Meh...

HELL YEAH! THEY WON'T SEE IT COMING!

Unless they do. Then you're screwed.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

So I've already responded to this thread.

But a minute ago, I scrolled quickly and read the title as "No Pant Football".

Oh you would, Gooddell! Homa!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar