No To A Free Agent DB

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by formerphinfan, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I'd agree that another DE is a bigger need than CB, but there's a good fit for a large need in CB. If we can find a good DE in free agency, go for it. I don't think the colts are going to let freeney slip away. I think we should draft our DE in the first if available.

2. Hellblitzer

Hellblitzer Guest

I say go out and get Samuals from the Pats and be done with it. Release Woolfolk and replace Thompson with a warm body and there is our DB roster.

Get Kevin Carter back here in a deal, then go and draft the best DE and WR we can get.

3. MattPan25

MattPan25 Guest

kevin carter is at the end of his career. we need a young beast like charles grant.

4. Vince10

Vince10 Camp Fodder

Great defenses have more than 4 DBs that can play. If we dont bring in new guys, we *might* have 4 at the very most, and that is very optimistic. Any injury or disappointing season, and we are back to square one. I like Finnegan. But not enough to stick him at CB and call it a day. He might not hack it, he might get hurt. We have the money, and there are guys on the market. Why try to sneak by with the bare minimum?

5. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Again, people, we could have a team full of Champ Baileys, but without pressure, they'd look like a team of Reynaldo Hills. In a perfect world Pressure=interceptions, and good coverage=sacks, you can't have one without the other, but I believe even the best coverage breaks down without CONSISTENT PRESSURE on the Quarterback, something we desperately need. 3rd and 15 comes from sacks, and plays behind the line of scrimmage, from those situations comes interceptions.

I rest my case for a quality, proven DE. Had enough of Laboy, and Odum (midgrade draft picks by the way)

6. For what it's worth, Mitchell tore his ACL here before he ever got a chance to start. When they first tried him outside, it was his first year back after surgery. So he may have lost a bit of speed to the injury.

And then he injured an ankle in Dallas and was put on IR. Apparently he never recovered because they cut him before the next season started.

If Finnegan stays healthy, he should have a much better career than Mitchell did. Even if he can't start outside, nickel is a valuable role. And perhaps he could play FS as well.

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Zell, no one is ignoring DE. But we're not limited to one offseason move, and CB needs upgrading.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I wouldn't complain if we signed a top FA CB. However, if we drafted a CB or two in the draft and opened the starting CB job up for competition between Finnegan, Hill and the rookies I'm not sure we don't come out upgraded any how. Hill could improve, Finnegan could win the job or we could find a CB in the draft that is better than any of them. Samuels and Vasher, two of the better CBs in the league were 4th rounders and if we get lucky with a new GM and better talent evaluation who knows. CB might be a postion to look at with our #19 pick as well.

We do need DL help badly and if we threw every last dime at upgrading the DL I wouldn't be upset either. We have to stop the run better and get pressure on the QB.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i agree 100%, but this is the way im looking at things:

there could be two very good corners in free agency;samuels and clements. there MIGHT be one good pass rusher in free agency in freeney.

if you look at the draft, it is very heavy with DEs and very weak with CBs. if you take care of corner in FA, you have a better chance of getting a good DE in the draft versus CB.

i would be more than willing to trade up to get a guy like jamaal anderson or gaines adams.

10. Nine

Nine Starter

In Hill's rookie season, we saw flashes of potential, but we also saw some glaring flaws. However, he was a 7th round rookie, so we cut him a lot of slack, assuming that he'd improve.

Not so with Finnegan. Quite honestly, I can't pick out a single "problem" area in his game. He's very good in both man and zone coverage, he's very solid in run support, he has the speed and quickness to turn and run with receivers on deep patterns, and he's demonstrated remarkable playmaking ability. Even as a rooke, he's made far more big plays than Reynaldo has made in two years. In fact, I'd say Finnegan's performance compares quite favorably to Pacman's rookie year, but without all the big mistakes and maturity issues.

If the Titans choose to go out and spend big money on a "name" guy, then great...keep Finnegan at NB. But with what he showed over the course of the year, I feel quite confident that the Titans could spend the money in other areas (D-line, MLB), and still feel confident that they'd have a solid starting tandem for 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar