O Bennett Where Art Thou

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Slackmaster, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/06/06/ramblings/stat-analysis/5169/

Check it out.

2. could be good, could be bad... from our franchise it looks real good +13

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

One thing about FO is they are always interesting even though I think they sometimes "over-think" a situation.

If Young develops as a passer this year, the Titans passing game will easily improve over last season despite losing Bennett and Wade. With Collins' poor start and Young being downright awful passing the ball in some games, it won't take much improvement from Young.

Let's look at the Three Amigos: Jones, Roby and Williams.

As rookies on '05, they had McNair who wasn't exactly putting in a lot of extra work with them. Still, the three ended up with:

Roby - 21 receptions, 289 yards, 1 TD
    R. Williams - 21 receptions, 299 yards, 2 TDs
    B. Jones - 23 receptions, 299 yards, 2 TDs

Almost identical production. Amazingly close. Jones would have had more had he stayed healthy. Roby also had some injuries in the mix.

Last season, with the combo of Collins/Young:

Roby - 2 receptions, 28 yards
    R. Williams - 8 receptions, 121 yards
    B. Jones - 27 receptions, 284 yards, 4 TDs

To look at the numbers, you'd think all three receivers regressed their second year. Though Jones was coming off the ACL injury late his rookie year, he appeared to be the only one who showed improvement.

Now let's look at Bennett in '05 vs. '06:

'05: 58 receptions, 738 yards, 4 TDs
    '06: 46 receptions, 737 yards, 3 TDs

Bennett actually started in five less games in '05 which impacts these numbers a bunch. Of course, those injuries is what helped Roby and Williams get on the field.

I think the above shows that the main reason all (except Bobby Wade) had a decline in production from '05 to '06 was the QB situation. Collins was miserable in the first games of the '06 season and Young struggled with his accuracy most of his early games.

With the loss of Bennett and Wade, I expect the WR production will actually improve if Young does. Would the jump be that much more if Bennett and Wade were still in the mix? We'll see.

As for the running game, I don't think it is as important to match last year's production by T. Henry.

Looking back to last season, T. Henry had just over 1,200 yards. In that, he has some monster games against weak run defenses with six 100+ rushing games. But he had five games he started where he gained less than 70 with three games gaining less than 40.

The goal, IMO, isn't that the Titans rack up 1,500 yards via their RBs but that they are more consistent and help take the pressure off the passing game.

Fun article.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Interesting..

I don't know how solid those conclusions are.

Great stuff from jeff there though bennett only missed 3 games in 05 not 5.

All three of those kids played well as rookies so we have to think they have more to offer than what we got last year. Note that all three are in houston now with vince so we know they will be ready to play.

Thank you jeff and slackmaster for giving us some reasoning as to why we can be better next year. We have to try and be more positive.

5. TitanJeff

Meant to post "didn't start" but even missing three games had an impact.

Looking back at Bennett last season, he had three games started in which he never had a reception and broke the 100 yard mark only three times all season.

I've heard forever that the third year is when it "clicks" for WRs and they focus on catching the football instead of reading defenses or running the proper route. Let's hope that is the case here.

6. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I think over the past few years as teams have struggled to manage free agency and the cap, the ability for a team's fortunes to swing dramatically has increased signifcantly.

I posted previously that on recent history we can expect at least 4 teams with losing records to make the playoffs. I went and had a further look at those stats and it really dispels the concept of "re-building in the modern NFL. Teams typically don't have to wait 3-4 years to turn their record around(wither positively or negatively)

In 2002, 20 of the 32 NFL teams had a record that equeated to winning 0,1 or 2 games more or less than the year before. The remaining 12 NFL teams had a change in number of wins of 3 or greater.

In 2005 and 2006, this number has been more than reversed.

In 2005, only 9 teams had a record that equeated to winning 0,1 or 2 games more or less than the year before. 23 teams had a change in number of wins of 3 or greater. Similar story in 2006 - (11 and 21).

What does this mean?

We are more likely to be an 11 win team or a 5 win team than we are to have a similar record to last year.

Rebuilding a franchise isn't a long process. We can make significant roster moves and be in the penthouse or the cellar quickly. Obviously we've rolled the dice this offseason with the guys we have at RB and WR. If they don't work out we can expect a season of 5 or less wins. If they do, playoffs are a distinct and reasonable possibility.

7. TitanJeff

A three game swing either in wins or losses usually is due to a combination of factors.

I would assume, if such a study was done, those who lost three more games had cap or injury issues. I base this off what I've noticed with the Titans and how these things had such a dramatic impact.

In turn, those teams who made that three win jump did so because of work they had done the previous season(s) such as drafting well, stayed healthier throughout the season, gaining experience and had some teams they faced dealing with cap/injury issues and on the decline.

I'm always amazed at how so little change can make a big impact on a season. I wonder what the numbers are like over multiple seasons and if most teams repeat the same pattern of rising for a few years, staying near the top for a few, then declining until they hit bottom and starting again.

Whatever the reasons, this is why the NFL is the best professional sport going. Through scheduling, free agency and the draft, the league has done what it can to maintain a level playing field.

8. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Over the last 5 seasons, only 3 teams have had a winning record for 5 seasons straight (NE, Indy and Denver) - All AFC teams.

Likewise only 3 teams haven't had a winning season over that same span. (Detroit, Arizona and Houston).

I agree that the reasons will be many and varied, but where Peter King articles and pre-season magazines predict the rankings will fall out almost identical to the end of last season, be aware that is highly unlikely to be the case.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The Football Outsiders number don't really tell us anything. IMO the results are not conclusive and really don't prove anything one way or another.

I think it is pretty safe to say Young and the three WRs will all improve.
    However, when you are that bad it is really hard not to get somewhat better. The main issue is how much they improve. Take the scenario with Bennett who obviously didn't have a great year. He could have easily put up a 1000 yard year if he had better QB play considering he had the numbers he did despite the QB. When a WR like Bennett goes all game with very few yards and catches I'd say it wasn't the great coverage or his inability to get open. More than likely it was the QB who didn't throw well to anyone else in those games either. With that said can a guy like Roby or Williams (lets assume Jones is comparable for now although we still don't know) improve to the level of Bennett? Are those guys capable of putting up 700-800 yards?

Another issue that could really help the offensive production (and significantly hurt production last year) is the play of the defense. If our defense doesn't improve it will be more difficult for the offense to get the opportunities. However, the bottom line is when you are dead last in something it doesn't take much to predict you will get better. The question is can we get much better with the personel we have now.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Carpy is right..

It doesn't take long to build a team and we have seen many examples of teams going from 5-11 to 11-5 in one season. We are not as bad as a 5-11 team.

I think with all our worry about WR and RB what we will ultimately get will be something comparable to what we got last year. The collective talents of white, henry and whoever our #3 is will give us around the same rushing yards and maybe even more receiving yards than last season. I think our three third year wrs(amigos) will play well overall. I would not be shocked to see a williams or roby lead the team in receiving yards.

Henry is a better pass receiver than either white or travis henry and gives us something we didn't have. Henry also has big play speed. I like the idea of having brownie back and really think he will be closer to 2004 form. Brownie was one of those the coaching staff told to bulk up last year. Well he plays better around 220 than 230. Certainly brown didn't get beat up from last season and has no lingering injuries. Brown is still only 26 so why give up on him?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar