O-Line Leadership

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titan_Cam, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

This probably goes without saying, but I think we are really missing Mawae on the O-line. I'd say his leadership and his smarts moreso than the physical aspect. Wasn't there talk of Roos stepping us as the leader of the O-line? I don't think he has the personality for it, no fire. I don't think anyone on the line does. Those guys have been playing pretty awful, particularly in the run game. Who's gonna be the guy to step up and get on guys to perform, and make sure guys are in the right spots?

The run game is in BIG trouble.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

They're not playing well, but it's impossible to block 9 guys. We have to put the ball in the air to move the ball consistently.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

That's moronic. Chris Johnson gets all his long runs when the defense is crowding the line because once he breaks through the first level there is fewer players at the 2nd level. That is way too simplistic. Why run at all just throw 60 times a game and run one time? That one time we run they won't be expecting it.

I wonder why it was such an obvious decision to have Amano at center and Harris at guard. Maybe better the other way around. Seems to me Amano is a downgrade from Mawae at center and Harris a downgrade from Amano at guard.

Harris pulled out to trap the right OLB Ayers and flat missed him. Ayers made a nice quick move to the outside but Harris should never wiff on a block like that. Amano is much better at pulling out in front of plays.

My guess is they wanted the more experienced guy at center but maybe that was not the right move.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Why not make extreme statements to make a point that isn't there?

Yes, throw 60 times a game. That's exactly what I'm saying. Now, if you weren't a sarcastic ^%$, you'd understand that I was saying to throw the ball more consistently to get the defense to back off and CJ won't have to rely on one long run to make the day worth while.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

We really need for Fisher to allow Vince to play QB, and not mimic the 11 game 2000 version of Trent Dilfer. Everyone knows what to do at this point to limit C.J..

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Instead of trying to evaluate what is wrong with the offensive line we get a another(599th time) smart assed quip about how we are not throwing the bail enough.

Last year teams used 8 man fronts against CJ and he beat them anyway. We did on several occasions tried to throw on first down and we did use play action passes. It's not like all we did all day was run run run.

I don't agree with all the calls but bad calls or not we still should have won the game and that is the bottom line.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I'm going to try and be nice here.

Everything is not always what it seems that is why people need to look at the numbers and know the facts. That 2000 ravens team ran as many pass plays as running plays and even with that great defense Dilfer averaged 27 pass attempts per start.

Vince young has averaged about 30 pass attempts per start in his career. It is not as if he has no opportunities to make plays.

Yes i think as long as we are not running the ball with any consistency we do need to pass more but we should have won that game anyway.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

The issue is the playcalling towards the end of the game, where was the playaction then? Yes there were 4 straight runs on a drive that started on our 4. CJ managed a first down because of how great his speed is and he got to the outside. He made a play. Most running backs don't get that first down. There was zero creativity to our offense towards the end of the game. Denver knew exactly what we were going to do and when we were going to do it.

Mariani's fumble and Hope's P.I. were bad plays that in the end ended up costing the game. They share some responsibility certainly, and they aren't the only ones. But why were we in that position to begin with??? Why couldn't our offense do anything in the second half? Since you don't think playcalling had anything to do with it, which offensive players do you fault for that?

You mention the issues with the offensive line....well HELLO, we've all seen this since the beginning of the preseason. It's nothing new. So as coaches, if you KNOW your line is not getting the job done in the run game all game long, why keep calling run plays in crunch time??? It's like Fisher expects CJ to bail him out. Don't coaches need to adjust to how their players are performing? Or just keep running the same plays that have been failing hoping for a different result (the J.F. approach)?

9. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

In regards to VY, I think people are talking about this season, and this season his pass attempts are well below 30 a game, and this after Fisher consistently praised Young's offseason progress and increased knowledge of the game and command of the offense.

Who on here is saying we should not have won the game? You are right that Mariani's fumble and Hope's PI are plays that directly contributed to the loss there at the end. But why why why were we even in that position to begin with? Why is it our creativity on offense completely went out the window in the 2nd half once the game got tight?

I wasn't buying it before but I'm starting to agree with those that think Fisher does not, irregardless of what he may say, have faith in VY's abilities as a quarterback.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Our QBs are averaging 22 pass attempts per game.

Interesting that the games in which we threw the most were losses and the games in which we threw the least were wins.

We averaged just 16.5 pass attempts in our 2 wins.

We averaged 27 pass attempts in our 2 losses.

Also interesting that in a game in which more pass plays were called then in any game all year the biggest complaint was that we didn't pass enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar