Observations from Tuesday’s OTA

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

I'm not even sure we are clawing for a stud. We just want someone that'll catch what's thrown at him and get open enough to do so. If Thompson see the field this season, it'll be because we have faith he can do that. Last year he was our most active blocker at times. He would motion and just kill some guy.... Maybe not as technical as Stevens but those were some hellacious blocks. And for now I'm good with that. I don't see any other te smashing defenders like he has.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

All fine, but if he's not a threat to run out and catch the ball, he's just a white Jared Cook.

3. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I understand them taking a chance on this guy. I mean, the upside is there if he can learn the position. I honestly don't understand the people that bash him for not playing great right away. When we drafted him I said it will be 3 years before we should expect anything from him at TE, but people still want to bash him after 1 season.

The reason he is on the 53 man roster is bc of ST. Anyone who isn't a starter, or at least gets onf the field consistantly makes the team for 1 reason, ST (with a few exceptions like backup QB) ... and TT CRUSHES people on ST. He is worth making the roster for that alone.

4. Clark

Lol he'll at least make the block. I see a premium run first offense coming. If Stevens can get open.... I'm sure Thompson can.

5. Thaddeus43

I've seen TT get open ... he just doesn't have any clue how to adjust to the ball, and make a catch. I have faith that he can develop though. Last year was his 1st year, I will give him 2 more before I start expecting a lot.

6. Clark

Fair enough. I'm not sure how that can be unlearnable. Repetition.... Camp. Just get him in on quick easy routes and returns before opening him up. And if he has to play a certain decoy.... Well make sure he is in front of whoever to road grade.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Thaddeus43

But really, whats the point of upgrading your 3rd TE, who won't see the field much at all with a guy who is NFL ready right now? Either way it will just be a player riding the bench. So you have to go with the guy with the most upside, not who is the most ready.

Now if we are talking #1 or #2 TE, then yes, you have to go with who is ready right now. But since we already have 2 solid TEs, we can afford to develop TT behind the scenes. If he can get on the field and contribute on ST or on running plays, well thats just gravy

8. Thaddeus43

Oh I think it is very learnable ... reps like you said. I think we see a pretty big improvement from year 1 to year 2 in him. This offseason he should be able to hit the ground running, and have some sort of familiarity with the position. He will still need some development, but that is why I am not expecting anything for about 2 more years.

9. Clark

Seriously. I don't see how sprinkling in TT in on certain plays and packages can be so hard. Go out make him run the route tree against brown 10 times twice a week and graph his catch percentage on each break. Then only have him run the routes that he was successful on in game. Then take those routes and apply them to HIS plays that he will be most active and targeted on. Build a package distinctively to make defenses key him, force misreads by showing similar looks and use him as a decoy on the backside to get someone else going or a CJ run.

To me, this is the way every one of the players should be identified.

10. Thaddeus43

Yeah but that would require playing to your players strengths, and putting them in position to be successul ... We prefer the "force people to fit your scheme no matter what they are good at" philosophy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar