OC Palmer likes rookie TE Taylor Thompson

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by DownSouthPlayer, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

What exactly makes a "raw" player have upside outside of physical attributes? If the draft has taught anyone anything it's how quick teams will jump on an upside player because of a 40... Or how high he can jump... Size compared to speed. 6'5 running a sub 4.5...

2. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

I never doubted size and speed. In NFL terms "raw" could mean anything, such as physical attributes or just not really being familiar with a position.

But in Taylor's situation, he has the physical attributes and he isn't familiar with the TE position.

3. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Titans rookie tight end Taylor Thompson made three catches for 15 yards in his preseason debut, but he also turned the ball over.

The fumble occurred in the fourth quarter, as the Titans began a drive deep in their own territory. Thompson caught a four-yard pass from Rusty Smith, but Seattle defenders held him up, knocked the ball loose and recovered it at the Titans’ 12-yard line.

“We have been working hard and making a big deal about that in camp,” Titans coach Mike Munchak said. “They have to bring the ball back after they catch it and make sure it is secure. That is an example where he got held up.

“I’m not sure if he was hoping the whistle was going to get blown before he got tackled. But it wasn’t and they punched it out. It was a good learning experience for him and all the young guys about how they do that in this league.”

Thompson, the Titans’ fifth-round draft pick, was a defensive end in college before converting to tight end prior to the NFL Combine.

Source: Titans Insider

4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Hopefully he takes Stevens' job :)

5. MrBean

MrBean Master of Not Much

He's not a blocking tight end. If he took someone's job, it would be Cook's.

6. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Y'all funny.

7. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

He was doing a great job blocking vs the Seahawks. I was watching him, I don't even think one person pushed he past the LOS.

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Please substitute the phrase "Blount trauma" for "Blount casualty".

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Lets just hope Thompson isn't the next Michael Jasper. Bills just waved the one time defensive lineman turned Guard. Couldn't pick-up the offense. Taylor Thompson seems plenty smart enough to learn the offense, but he's got a lot of work til he's an NFL TE. You just can't be big and fast and think it'll work out.

10. DownSouthPlayer

DownSouthPlayer Starter

He did a decent job blocking against the seahawks. I think Eddie even pointed it out.

As long has he can get open and catch he will be fine. He a is raw in knowing where to be and what to expect as a TE. All that will be learned with time. I think he will be ahead of Cook in the same amount of time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar