Offensive Line

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PragIdealist, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PragIdealist

PragIdealist Guest

In all the draft and free agent talk and the analyes of the Titans needs I haven't heard or seen much talk bout our offensive line. I remember during the season being pretty frustrated with them and I remember wondering if the Oline was the true source of many of our offensive woes. Neither Brown nor Henry got going well this year and Mcnair/Chow fed our TE's like Pac was paying for dinner. :greedy:

Were the rookie recievers not able to get open?
    Is Mcnair's arm losing some strength?
    Were the recievers and Mcnair not able to gell?
    Was Chow's system too conservative?
    Or was the Oline subpar in both run blocking and pass blocking?

I don't have any answers. I'm actually just interested in everyone else's thoughts.

If the Oline was largely a part of the problem, then what are some answers. Like I said I haven't seen much discussion on this. Do some of our veteran's need to be cut? I've never been a fan of hopkins (though I do know of the talent that is there), and I haven't seen much from Olson lately. Do we need to play some of our younger guys or maybe draft some more? Or do we look to free agency? Everyone has been talking about LB needs and DB needs, but OL could be just as large a concern. Maybe more. Add to that, Reese and company have talked about needing to get more speed on defense and that they like the LB group in this draft, which leads my cynical mind to thinking that they aren't looking much at LB's. :suspect: :))

What are some thoughts?

2. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Our O-Line seemed like a protected specis last year. When they were struggling and Jacob Bell had returned to fitness, I have no idea why he wasn't given more of a run.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think the Titans can go a number of ways with the OL. But look at the bucks. Hopkins and Olson are expensive. And Hartwig isn't probably worth what Rosenshark thinks he is and will have to hit the market before he settles for what Reese would pay.

So you could have an OL of Roos, Piller, Amano (or FA), Stewart and Bell (or a combination) which really makes sense if the Titans think these guys are the future. Reason being, you get them some work in what most will expect to be another rebuilding year.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I wish we could make a go of Steve Hutchinson, but I think we cannot afford a player like him this year. LeCharles Bentley would be an upgrade at center, but he'd cost more than Hartwig.

Even with the recurring players, it looks like many positions will feature new faces, or faces new to their positions. Roos going from the right side to the left, for example. It would be the right time to make such a move, but I wonder, like everyone does, probably, how far along are Bell, Stewart and Amano? That would tell us if we are missing a piece or so, or three or four.

5. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I think we will see a young OLINE like TJ mentioned above with the addition of a cheap vet in July/August. But the draft is also intriguing in terms of trading down and then picking up D'brick or their should be some top end G/C/RT available in the early 2nd that could challenge the other young guys for a starting spot along with being our depth.

I don't see us making a move in FA for top end guys like Bentley or Hutchinson because until Mac's situation is figured out we are going to be fairly tight against the cap and they would cost top dollar.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

We really just have to hope guys like Stewart and Amano can step in and be quality NFL players. I wouldn't be surprised to see us grab the best OT or OG with our 2nd round pick and use the rest of the draft on LBs and S as well as trying to find a few in FA.

7. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

No, why would we bring Runyan back? He's probably not a whole lot cheaper now and he's much older. He wasn't that great with the Eagles last year either.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think the OL is about how they work together as a unit. If the Titans think the young guys are the future, I'd rather go ahead and get them the experience so they can develop while the Titans are rebuilding.

10. maximus

maximus Starter

If Reese and Fisher believe that the Stewart, Bell, Roos, Loper, and the other lineman are the future line of the franchise, then let them play and develop this year while the Titans are still rebuilding.
    I wouldnt mind seeing(but it isnt my favorite draft day scenerio) the Titans drafting DaBrickashaw Fergerson. This would allow for a Fergerson, Bell, C, Piller, Roos OL next year-assuming Hopkins and Olsen get cut. With the second round pick the Titans could draft Omar Jacobs in the second round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar