Oiler Nostalgia "Re-Brand"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dtm586, Sep 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

IMG_3260.PNG There should be a thread for all Oiler nostalgia talk.

It's just one of those nights where I google "Tennessee Oilers" and I can't turn away ...

If anyone wants to comment on their old memories or nastalgia that would be great.

Not everyone in this forum are fans just because of the move to Tennessee as the Titans. There's still a majority im sure whose ties go back further than 1999.

Ever think back at the Houston Oilers? I know there's a good number of the old fan base who grew up watching the Houston Oilers and followed them to Nashville.

Me personally, I am 30, so I don't really start to count me watching football as a true fan until 1995. Which happened to be the year Steve McNair was drafted. At the time I had no clue or care I just fell in love with the "Luv Ya Blue" uniforms which was the only sole reason I picked to follow them in the first place.

It became an obsession growing up, grabbing any Oiler paraphernalia I could get my hands on; which wasn't always the easiest thing to do living in California.

None-the-less, by the time I could really start following the organization and knew what was going on in the NFL, rules, roster and everything else wise, they were on the way out of Houston and into Tennessee.

So most of my nastalgia comes from the Tennessee Oilers. The brief 1997 and 1998 seasons, which are almost all but lost deep into the archives of the abyss.

From reading more and more articles, I didn't realize how bad and how non-existent those two seasons were. How the people of Memphis were (or are) extremely jealous of Nashville - considering Nashville the older brother who always gets what he wants.

The 1997 season played in Memphis went so badly and the team was so poorly marketed in the city (not many posters or billboards etc) Bud Adams got them the hell out to play in Vanderbilt in 1998. Sparing every single detail - as most of you already know anyways.

From actually being booed by the "home" town crowd during a "home" game in Memphis vs the Red Skins, as the Oilers came out of the locker room and onto the field to a corus of boos.

Fast-foward to 1998, it was their last season with the "Oilers" team name, my parents knowing my weird fascination with the Oiler franchise, surprised me with a plane ride to Tennessee to watch the last game of the 1998 regular season vs Randy Moss, Chris Carter, Randall Cunningham and the Minnesota Vikings. It must have snowed the night before because I remember snow on the ground as we sat in those cheap bleacher seats as my last chance to ever witness those red, white and blue Oiler uniforms - but in person.

So that's the backdrop.

Then I started seeing threads elsewhere, like what if the Tennessee Oilers never became the Titans? What if they stayed the Oilers (which is what Earl Campbell wanted) and former owner Bud Adams almost kept ...

So in the images below I found some really interesting "re-brand" logo and uniform ideas which I will post his link (although looks like the original thread is long over with)

After that , I stumbled across what the original Houston Oilers almost were named - and the list of names the Tennessee Oilers almost became before the Titans were essentially selected ...

Possibly names before the Titans:

The extreme ones;

Heehaws, Banjos and yes I'm cringing Hillbillies.

Not sure how accurate those are , as they have to be from fan votes - can't imagine Bud actually giving any of these a second thought ...

The more neutral;

Tornados and Mountain Cats to name a few

Full list of other franchises as well ... yes the Atlanta Peaches (which sounds more like a strip club and I'm sure there's one with this name ...)

11 NFL Teams That Almost Had Embarrassing Nicknames - 11 Points

The guys info isn't correct on the Oilers (saying they played in Nashville starting in 96 and were the Oilers for one year, wrong and wrong!)

As for the re-brand Tennessee Oilers here is the link and photos ... I like how he incorporates the older Oiler blue and red but adds in the new Titan navy as well as the 3 stars for Tennessee under the oil Derrick

Tennessee NFL Rebrand - Concepts - Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Community - CCSLC - SportsLogos.Net Forums

Any other Oiler memories or possibly old merchandise like shirts and posters I'd be happy to see or hear about them.

IMG_3257.PNG

IMG_3263.JPG

IMG_3265.PNG
    IMG_3262.JPG

#1 dtm586, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    • High Five High Five x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

I became an Oiler fan after watching Warren Moon throw for 3 TDs and 527 yds against the Chiefs who were trying to clinch a wild card berth. I was a huge fan of Nolan Ryan, and he played in Texas, so it just happened that way. I never looked back after that, and followed them to Tennessee. That was in 1990! :facepalm::eek: :drunk:

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

I became a fan the year they came to Tennessee but I didn't watch football religiously. Not sure if I even watched them as the Tennessee Oilers. I was young and just excited that TN now had a team. Of course the superbowl run and a couple of good years got me more into watching and keeping up with the team. It's been downhill since...

4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Two of my best friends dads from childhood played for the Houston Oilers, this was the 80s, so I grew up Luv Ya Blue. This was the Earl Campbell/Pastorini days when Bum Phillips ran the sidelines.

Got to meet lots of true Oilers, enjoy the real House Of Pain, was there through the Glanville era, watching The Dish fumble away an epic INT, then transitioning to the true Run-n-Shoot with Jack Pardee.

My uncle's best friend/college roommate was Leonard Harris, slot WR, and I got to meet the greats...Drew Hill, Haywood Jeffries and Earnest Givens, as well as the hated Webster Slaughter! Fun times. I was at the game when Bubba McDowell broke his neck, seemed to be the last of the noise at the Astrodome.

Growing up in Texas, I used to tell everyone: you either love the Cowboys or you hate them....I definitely hated them, and it just added to the love for my Lorenzo White/Mike Rozier/Gary Brown led baby blues!

Cheers

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I initially started liking the oilers while playing super tecmo bowl on the NES. Moon to givens, hill, Duncan, and Jeffries was awesome. Mike rozier was a somewhat wasted talent but Lorenzo white was good. One of the first games I remember televised(oilers didn't get much play over the steelers in PA) was against the saints. Oilers won 35-28 after having a 35-7 lead late in the 3rd.

To the point of the post, I never liked them being called the Tennessee oilers. First there is no oil in Tennessee, so the name just doesn't make since, but I understand not jumping into something the fans wouldn't attach to. Those first 2 yrs the fans were very hard to come by but going 8-8 the Fisher way doesn't help. Winning that first year as the Titans and dominating the colesium was huge in establishing that Nashville fan base.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. TheBisco

TheBisco Pro Bowler

Offseason thread...

• LOL LOL x 1
  7. Rwill

Rwill Pro Bowler

Love Ya Blue!

Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers NUMBER 1.

8. titantrusince82

titantrusince82 I'm down with the Titans for better or worse

Titantrusince(1982). Celebrating 34 years of being a diehard Oilers Fan

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I guess I'm around 26-27. Wish I could of seen Campbell an the luv ya blue oilers. Probably hate he steelers more.

10. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

I could never get my head around the Titans being the Oilers. Just like the Ravens aren't their old team either.

• Boring Boring x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar