Olb?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TorontoTitanFan, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

When you draft for need, your talent level goes down. We could use almost every position except OT, OG, S, and TE. Everything else should be in play, I think, even QB. HB will probably be a consideration but I can't see us going in that direction in the first round. 2nd or 3rd wouldn't surprise me, though. I can't see us keeping LenDale after this year. Either he will show up out of shape again and warm the bench or he will get in better shape (this is my guess since it's a contract year) and win enough faith from another team to get a good deal in FA.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

TE could be in play too unless they plan on signing Scaife long-term.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

As much as people think we need an ILB and I don't disagree there may be an even more pressing need long term at OLB. Quite honestly I can see us taking Clay Matthews before I can see us taking Laurinaitis unless with his 4.8 40 time they think Laurinaitis could still fill in at strong side OLB. The point being grabbing an ILB who isn't athletic or quick enough to also play OLB simply isn't worth a 1st round pick. However a guy like Laurinaitis that they feel good about being able to also play on the outside or in nickel passing situations could be a real value but I don't see it.

The next question is with our pretty immediate need at CB (Harper is almost certainly in his last year but Bulluck and Thornton could still have a few years left) isn't a quality CB a much more valuable pick than a slow ILB or even a good OLB? IMO you have a better chance of getting a decent LBer, ILB or OLB after the 1st round than you do CB.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

why the love affair with clay matthews from everyone? what did the guy do at usc? he had ONE year with over 50 tackles, and he rushed the qb with his hand on the ground most of the time he was on the field in 2008.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Lauranitis will bust. True story.

6. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Probably has a lot to do with his relation to our hall of famer, Bruce Matthews.

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Ok...

Let's suppose we draft Clay Matthews Jr.....where is he gonna play? Or is he sitting for a year and then we're saying bye to Bulluck?

First, it makes little sense to draft an OLB UNLESS you already know you're letting Bulluck walk after this season....which I don't think the Titans know yet.

Even if we didn't draft someone, Tulloch can play OLB or MLB and we still have Fowler who can play decently in the middle.

Meanwhile, Harper's play has declined, he's up there in age and he'll want a deal in the 5-6mil/yr range. BOTH our starting DE's will be free agents next year. We have no #1 WR. At this moment, both of our starting TE's will be free agents next year.

We also might need a RB...etc.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar