Ole Good Merril Hoge

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Lord_Drist, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

If I didn't like taking the risk of possibly getting sent to Iraq or Afghanistan, I would have never VOLUNTARILY joined the Marines.
    Likewise, if a WR doesn't want to get blasted by an opposing teams secondary from time to time, he shouldn't play football.
    Besides, that's not near as bad as a QB getting his WR killed by leading him full stride right into a pass where a DB(whom the WR isn't looking at) is waiting to pop him blind and full speed.

2. jreal26

jreal26 Camp Fodder

Greater QB's than VY have made a living throwing up "Hospital Balls" to superior athletes at WR. If you throw it up to a 6'4" WR with outstanding leaping ability two things should happen against shorter defenders:
    A. He's most likely going to catch it and you have a big play.
    B. He knocks it down and you run another play.

And, yes just like signing up for the military it's part of the position and one of the #1 reasons Height at WR is so coveted! Vincent Jackson has made himself into quite a player catching "Hospital balls" from Phillip "Side Arm" Rivers. (Who I think is an excellent QB by the way!)

3. Raistmagic

Raistmagic Starter

Yeah, I heard that too. Hoge is cool!

4. JokerJ

JokerJ Camp Fodder

Jump balls are part of a receivers job, plain and simple. That's one of the things you want to hear from your receiver, "throw it up, I'll go get it for you". You guys explained it perfectly. I like the military analogy. For what it's worth, Vince gave full credit to Gage for making the play.

• High Five High Five x 3
  5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I have no problem with the pass to Gage. Obviously Gage gets most of the credit because the guy had a 40" plus vertical. I mean the guy was sky walking. It was awesome. But that is what VY should be doing. We need to give these WRs opportunities to make plays. Remember back to the Steelers game when KC threw a similar pass to Britt that was picked off. I remember a bunch of VY fans giving KC a hard time because he threw an int but you want your WRs to be in those situations. They should beat the DB to the ball 9 out of 10 times. We have Gage and Britt who can jump over just about any DB. Keep throwing those.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

No, he wasn't. He made decisions on what VY could and couldn't do based on a couple of Texas lowlights.

He said VY couldn't throw with accuracy...we've seen him do this quite a bit.

He said he couldn't read defenses...we've seen him not only do this, but do it pretty well recently.

He said VY couldn't succeed and be a starting QB in this league...what is VY's record as a starter?

Hoge likes to be 'right' even when he's wrong which is why he and Jaws get into it on the Matchup show and Hoge is always trying to sound smart by referring to the 67 hours of game tape he's watched. Does anyone really believe he's watching game tape 10+ hours a day M-F? He's a bit of a joke. And he can't man up when he's proven wrong...he just stays quiet - hoping for VY to throw a pick or fumble the ball so he can again say SEE!

Gut

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Yes...

I always found it funny that Eli Manning threw the exact same pass in the Super Bowl which David Tyree made a spectacular catch on...and ELI gets all the credit for a GREAT THROW. VY makes the same play and it's all about a great catch (and it was) but a bad pass by VY.

Sometimes you have to throw it up and let you 6'3 guy go get it. And while it was very high, neither DB could come anywhere close to it...so it's not like it was a jump ball for 3 guys...Gage or no one was catching that...but he showed the confidence in Gage that Gage would go get it and Gage made a GREAT play on the ball.

I don't give VY a huge amount of credit for the throw, but it wasn't a bad pass. He gave his guy a chance and Gage made the play. If a top QB throws that ball it's a GREAT throw. VY throws it and it's a hospital pass.

Amusing.

Gut

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

hospital pass or not I think we were all relieved when he came down with it w/o a drop and uninjured... Definitely a big league catch... it's too bad it's so alien that we have to have a thread about it! lol

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Gage is a 6'4" WR for a reason. It's so he can grab those giant big man only passes. Gage should be pumped after that play, and not worried about being hospitalized. I don't think he's worried about these 'hospital passes' at all. In fact I'm sure he and Vince are drawing up more alley-oops as we speak. They'd be smart to with both their heights being way above any corner safety combo they'll face. Other than the Cardinals Adrian Wilson, what other DB can reach the 12-foot mark Gage did?

10. DJB

DJB Starter

People hate Vince Young so much they think his 39 yard completions are garbage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar