One big reason not to like Dungy departure

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>Argue about his postseason effectiveness all you like.</p> <p>Here is the worst thing about <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3827058" target="_blank">the departure of Tony Dungy</a> from the NFL coaching business: It's a copycat league, and there is one less good guy with success to be copied.</p> <p>I know for most fans the ends justify the means and that means a coach can be nasty if he's winning. The current final four -- Ken Whisenhunt and Andy Reid, Mike Tomlin and Jim Harbaugh -- are good group, not overridingly irritable or angry.</p> <p>But losing Dungy from the fraternity hurts.</p> <p>I'm for coaches who say hello to the janitor, maybe know his name, not for ones who make it clear they don't have time for a simple nod in the hallway that can make the smallest person in the organization feel relevant instead of as if he lives on the other side of a moat from the team's figurehead.</p> <p>Dungy looked everyone in the eye, cared about human connection, had the unwavering respect of the people who worked for him and worked for his team.</p> <p>I suspect successor&nbsp;Jim Caldwell will work to build a similar M.O., but he starts from nowhere.</p> <p>Until at least Feb 1, there is only one coach in the AFC who's won a Super Bowl (only three in the whole league), and that one hardly qualifies as easy-going model to follow. Bill Belichick has actually won three.</p>

More...
  2. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Manning is the Coach anyways.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.