One thing I noticed about the Chargers game...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

The vast majority of Locker's passes were out of the shotgun!

You would think a run heavy team with an inexperienced QB would be giving him a majority of playaction on 1st and 2nd downs (and 3rd and short) but they aren't doing that much. For the most part, at least in the chargers game, they were telegraphing we were gonna throw it (most likely) with the shotgun look.

This is interesting because most people think (me included) that they are trying to protect him to some extent and part of that protection is not throwing into passing defenses a high percentage of the time. On first and 10, a majority of teams play zone and focus on stopping the run so it's an easier down to throw usually. Combine that with a strong running team and you get good play action which makes the QB's reads even easier! The fact that we only used a little play-action may be an indicator (as well as his nice performance) that he may be more ready for prime time then we thought.

This can also trick the defense into biting on the playaction even more since when we've been throwing, its out of obvious passing formations a lot.

Of course, this could also be because Locker is more comfortable in the Shotgun so they let him throw from there...

But an interesting against the grain stat I thought worth mentioning.

Why do you think Locker is passing so much out of the Shotgun (not talking about in 3rd and long)???

Gut

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

I think you mention it right there, you can see his more comfy in the shotgun formation and it allows him more time to throw.

3. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Our sorry pass protection probably had a lot to do with that. On play action, he has to turn his back to the pass rush, which would likely get him killed.

At least the shotgun gives him three yards if open air for protection.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I don't think this is really unique to the Titans or even new to the Titans.

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Shotgun is where he belongs, surprised we don't run more plays from there. Opens up the playbook, even for the running game as well.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Yes and no. A lot fewer running plays to run out of the shotgun so much easier to defend them from a formation stand point and short of a pistol formation, no quick hitters possible. We like to pull our guards and get an extra blocker to get CJ the edge or a cutback lane so I assume we will stick to that for running most of the time.

Gut

7. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Yea... And Rob Turner can't snap for crap.

8. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

I'm not sure that's really the truth. He's always been an under center QB. He never came from a spread O.

9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Locker had a great game throwing the ball whether he was under center or in the gun. I think the pistol might be something that would work well to give us a few more options for run plays, while still giving Locker more time to see the field.

I just finished re-watching the game and a few things I noticed....CJ did a fantastic job of picking up the blitz. On several occasions he really stoned the free rusher to give Locker time to throw. Warmack missed a few blocks early, but then was really solid. On the few plays that got blown up in the backfield, Turner was the culprit in missing his block or just getting shoved into the backfield and clogging things up. McCourty had another fantastic game and Verner was pretty solid himself.

The nice thing is that we can play much better than we did yesterday.

10. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

I've noticed that as well.Almost cost us the ball on at least two plays Sunday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar