One Vince Young and TX breakdown v/s USC

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by bigreese82, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigreese82

bigreese82 Camp Fodder

This is a pretty impressive breakdown, and well worth spending a little time on. I liked the Leinart breakdown the Saints fan did, and I posted this on that thread too, but I thought it could use its own thread. Its not focused only on Vince, but obviously he is the main attraction. It also contains a breakdown of Texas' defense.

http://rpongett.phpwebhosting.com/rosebowl06.html

Here is an excerpt from his breakdown with some interesting stats including that 75/76 plays Texas ran on offense were run using the exact same formation. Highly unusual.

"Except for field goals, punts and one running out the clock, Texas ran 76 conventional offensive plays. Here was the breakdown of formations:

3 WR 1 RB Shotgun: 75 plays
    I-Formation: 1 play

And that lone I-Formation play was on a 4th and 1 where Texas lost 3 yards.

I haven't checked, but I'm fairly sure no college offense in a championship game has lined up in a nearly identical formation 75 of 76 times. Not even Nebraska with its option attack lined up nearly identically every time. Theoretically, its almost suicide. Defenders dropping in zones get used to your routes out of that formation, the QBs reads, etc. The front seven start to see similar runs out of that formation, and are no longer surprised. Defensive proficiency increases by repetition alone. Plus, few defensive personnel changes are required, so there is little scrambling even in that regard. But it made sense with Young unleashed. Maximize Texas' players' abilities to make the right read every time re routes and blocking, then let Young decide how to terminate the defense with the options a spread out field and correctly executing blockers and receivers afforded him.

Carroll knows defense, and USC tried nearly everything. Pretty amazing looking at all the blitzes and formations he used. Blitzed every damn gap, many times with multiple players and multiple gaps. He went from stretches using 5 DLs, to stretches using only 3 DLs. These weren't specialty situation (e.g., 3rd and 15 or 4th and 1) formations and plays. He was throwing them at Texas on 1st and 10. Young commented on that after the game. None of it worked, but he sure as hell busted his ### putting together the mother of all defensive gameplans."

What are you guys thoughts?

One poster said:

The fact that Vince was often throwing to open receivers also means that he was making good reads and getting the ball to the best spot. It also helps that Vince generally has more time to throw so receivers can get more open. The added time is partly due to a really good offensive line at Texas, but it is also partly due to Vince being able to buy time with his feet and to the pass rush not being able to go all out after him because of the huge running threat he presents

2. bigreese82

bigreese82 Camp Fodder

Towards the bottom of the page it breaks down USC offense v/s TX D. Texas blitzed 51% of the time

3. bigreese82

bigreese82 Camp Fodder

You also have to look at the play were Vince runs for 45 yards. It is listed under passing plays by Texas. The actually plays may take a second to load. This setup is cool because you can look at all the passing plays

4. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

cool.

5. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

great link!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar