Opinions on Fisher

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dgood, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vince10

Vince10 Camp Fodder

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****, not in the NFL. I think it is immaterial what other coaches would have done with the bad rosters Fisher has had lately. The test of a good coach is how he does with a good roster. Guys like Norv Turner perennially flop. Belichick wins titles in bunches. Fisher has been to a SB. That is not great but it is pretty darn good.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Vince...

What you are basically saying is that if we don't have a chance to compete for a super bowl it doesn't matter how a coach does. I think a good coach takes a team with 6-10 talent and wins 8 games. A good coach takes an average 8-8 type team and goes 10-6 and makes the playoffs.

When has fisher really done something like that?

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Want a name?

Ok dave toub. He's 44 and the special teams coach for the bears. To say the bear's special teams have been solid the last 2 seasons would be an under statement. He has worked under lovey smith and also andy reid as the assistant special teams coach at philly.

Toub comes from a 15 year college background where he was big 12 strength coach of the year at missouri in 97.

Seems like a tough guy who doesn't take crap and can motivate players.

What about norm chow? I think he could be a good coach..

4. Vince10

Vince10 Camp Fodder

Fisher just took a 2-14 team to 8-8. Granted, I personally attribute most of that to #10 and Pacman's return skills, but Fisher did not get in the way. I certainly think it qualifies as an answer to your question.

But yeah, the bottom line is if the team has no shot at the playoffs (this year was a once in a decade exception), I dont much care how they do, and coaches dont prove their mettle in such years. It is when they have to get the most out of a contender that they earn their money.

Look no further than the Giants last year to see the value of a good coach (they didnt have one).

5. Vince10

Vince10 Camp Fodder

I would not hire Norm Chow under any circumstances. He is old and has never been a head coach. That very fact implies that he does not have the right kind of personal drive to be a good NFL head man. It takes a rare type of individual. Maybe he'd be the next Bill Walsh, but I wouldnt take that chance. Let him toy with his offense and teach Vince how to be an NFL QB.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Teams who get new coaches are usually coming off a string of pathetic seasons. But look at the amount of time before the team reaches the playoffs. That's what we're talking about here. Would a new coach set back the Titans? I think it would. This team is clearly on the rise.

That's pure speculation.

I don't mean to put words in your mouth but you make it sound as if anyone could have done as well and have the Titans where they are now. I disagree with that.

What this boils down to for me is who gives the Titans the best opportunity to win. I think Fisher is that person. Time will tell.

7. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Fisher is one of those love/hate guys. There are times things go smoothly, and we look like a contender. There are other times you wonder what the heck the coaches are doing. Then, should we get to the playoffs, it's the dreaded Fisherball, where we play as conservative as we can so as not to lose the game, and convert a last second field goal to win the game. I dearly believe he had rather win this way than by two touchdowns. The other complaint I have is that he does tend to hold onto veterans too long, even if they are not playing up to par. His attitude of letting McNair play whenever he felt like it was detrimental to the team in the long run. I think players lose interest, or just get a "don't care" attitude when this kind of environment surrounds a team. His reluctance to sit players that week in and week out make mistakes makes you wonder even more what he is thinking (read LT). If it weren't for VY scrambling, we would probably have the lowest percentage of 3rd down conversions in the league. It's sad when 3rd and 1 becomes a low percentage chance for a team. I dread that situation, because it usually means a handoff and lost yardage. Fisher has been living on the MCM for years. If that had not happened, and we had never made the Superbowl, I wonder if people would be as generous about keeping him around?

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

2-14 to 8-8?

When? We were 4-12 in 05 not 2-14. In 2 years we drafted young and pacman and added thornton, hope, robaire smith and mawae. I think travis henry's return to form was a big factor, no? And we had a change in the 0-line not because the coaches knew squat but because of injury. Huge improvement moving bell inside with stewart out there at RT. The coaches were too dumb to get piller off the field he had to get hurt first.

I'll give fish credit for getting young on the field and keeping the pacman and haynesworth suspensions from tearing up the team but fisher also handled the volek thing poorly and put kerry collins in a place he didn't belong. Once again our defense was sub par due to bad coaching..

Again it's hard to imagine any average coach not getting the same results from the same people. The reason we were so bad in 05 was because of bad coaching also..

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff...

Teams who get new coaches are usually coming off a string of pathetic seasons. But look at the amount of time before the team reaches the playoffs.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Jeff you are not hearing me right brother, it doesn't take a lot of time. The saints and jets went right there in one year. It took lovey smith until just his second year with the bears to get there. Brian billick took a team that was horrible for some time and won a super bowl in his second season. Tony dungy took the bucs to the playoffs in his second year. Happens all the time.

George allen took the rams to the playoffs in his second season and later took over the horrible redskins and got them to the post season right away.

Stop using jeff fisher as your measuring stick. Just because fisher needed until his 4th season doesn't mean that is the way it has to be..

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

But the year before that, he took a 4-12 team to 2-14.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar