Our biggest strength

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Last year our running game was very good.

Have a look at these stats of where we ran (table at the bottom of the page):

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol.php

We had 34% of our running plays at Right tackle or Right end. More than any other team in the league. I'd expect a part of that is having Vince roll to his right (his natural side) and pick up some yards on the ground, but even accounting for that it is clear we see the right side of our O-line (Olson and Stewart) as a strength.

Our average running at Right Tackle was 4.24 ypc, and at left tackle it was 3.37 ypc.

In 2005 when the Seahawks had Hutchinson and Walter Jones on the left side, they ran 36% to that side (again clearly the highest in the league).

For all the accolades Vince last year, Dave Stewart's performance in his first year as a starter is just as impressive, IMHO.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Yeah..

Good thing the coaching staff saw stewart's potential and had him starting from the beginning right?:rolleyes: Had piller not gone down the kid wouldn't have played.

I think it is a combination of stewart and the threat of vince rolling out or bootlegging. Vince forces that end to stay wide and honest.

3. Michi40

Michi40 Lost bullet

Having a good OL is my favourite biggest strenght.

And I also think is the most difficult one to develop or build through draft/free agency.

So, kudos to us! A possitive thing!

4. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

It's a combinations of Vince's ability and Stewart's solid play. Our line is a strength of this team after last year.

5. Carpy

Have a look at Detroirt's numbers. They ran up the middle 27% against a league average of 49%.

That's what you buy when you get Mike Martz.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Those numbers are way Skewed IMO if they include VYs running. I can think of a bunch of runs VY had that happened to go to the right side like his TD run at Houston, his miracle run against the Giants his TD run against the Pats and a TD run against the Colts. If those stats are considered right side runs then they would easily make the stats look like we prefered to run to the right side with our RBs which isn't neccesarily true.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Skewed?

Maybe. I think young's run against NE was more up the middle. For a run to be called off tackle it has to be just to the left or right of our OT. I know young's TD at indy was to the left side. Wasn't henry's 70 yarder off right tackle?

Still we are talking about almost a whole yard per carry difference so someone must be doing the job over there..

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

You are right about the Indy run but Young did have some nice carries on the right side. I do think Roos is a better pass blocker where Stewart is a better run blocker so that could be a big part of the difference.

9. Carpy

Actually, re-reading the table it specifically says RB carries, so Vince's runs are excluded.

The 379 carries that it references aligns with our official stats (Henry 270, White 61, Brown 41 and Hall 11) and is not skewed for yards (long runs) or QB runs.

So not only did we average a yard more when we ran to the right, we actually ran to that side almost TWICE AS MUCH as we ran to the left. Something was working!!!!

10. Carpy

Some interesting trends in the defensive stats as well.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl.php

Our worst area for run D was on running plays outside of LT and RT. (i.e. plays run at our two athletic (but undersized) OLBs).

Look at Indy's stats. They actually had the best run D in the lague on plays run to Left end (trying to stretch outside Freeney). But if you ran inside the hash marks they were awful (I know, we didn't need stats to tell us that!!!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar