Our D-Line as is...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jhutch, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhutch

jhutch Camp Fodder

The defensive line is something I really wanted to upgrade during the draft or free agency and that didn't happen. Now, free agency isn't over, I realize that, but is there anyone that is a possible cut that would be worth looking at. I really thought going into the draft that the DLine should be our top priority, but apparently the coaching staff didn't agree with me.

After the draft, I looked at our D-Line and have tried to figure out if it will be successful.

93-Kyle Vanden Bosch - Great player, but no one to help him with. I'm glad that we are trying to get him to be able to play on the other side, confuse the offense a little.

98-Antwan Odom - Hes been good when he has played, although that is rare because of injury.

95-Josh Savage - ?

61-Jermaine McElveen - ?

90-Randy Starks - Good player, he was injured a lot last year as well.

99-Rien Long - Good player, injured a lot.

97-Tony Brown - Did surprisingly well with the little time that he got. This is porbably because the opposing offensive lines were over compensating for Haynesworth and KVB.

92-Albert Haynesworth - Great player, he HAS to stay healthy. Apparently he is in better shape than he has ever been.

94-Jesse Mahelona - Was great in college, didn't do so hot last year.

96-Antonio Johnson - ?

91-Travis LaBoy - Good Player, flooded with injuries

77-Sean Conover - ?

78-Jacob Ford - ?

62-Nethaniel Adibi - ?

When I went through these names, I remember a year or so ago thinking that our D-Line would be the strong point in our defense. Well, we really haven't lost anyone, we just never got to see them play last year because of injury.

Going by what has happened this off-season, I'd say the coaches are very confident in our DLine like all of us were a year or so ago. These guys just need to stay healthy and our defensive line (will hopefully) should be fine.

2. im anxious to see what jacob ford can do

3. We just need people to stay healthy. If KVB, LaBoy, and Odom all stay on the field, they should have the depth to have a solid DE production. And Ford has a lot of upside, but we'll have to see if his skills translate from Central Arkansas to the NFL.

At DT, Haynesworth needs to live up to expectations and be consistently good. And the young DTs around him simply need to develop (and Long needs to be healthy after the Achilles tear).

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree, if this group can stay healthy they can be pretty good.

5. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I wouldn't call Laboy or Odom "good".

6. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

They should be great, I was shocked last year, but injuries really have bitten us. Glad to hear several seem to be losing some weight to try to find their optimum playing weight. As much as I would have liked to see the D-line addressed this offseason there really wasn't much available there. We did pick up a DE and DT though. As we've seen it's a little tough to make the transition from a good college lineman to the pros... I think if we've got talent that struggled last year it's worth sticking with the group we have.

7. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I'm high on Ford I think he will provide us with somegood pass rush as a situational guy this year. Next year and the year after that I expect to see him take considerable strides and playing tie until he becomes a force at DE. Wishful thinking yes but I think he will do it with some added weight and strength.

Antonio Johnson is a solid run stuffer who has a hig ceiling. If he learns the finer things on being a DT and works on his technique he should turn out very well since he already has an explosive first stepand can occupy multiple blockers.

Mahelona needs to step up and be the sparkplug DT expected. I thought he was an absolute steal where we drafted him now he needs to show the explosiveness at college and motor.

Long was decent when here and healthy but an achilles injury spells disaster for his career in Tennessee and the league and his rehab was halted by a staph infection that almost cost him his leg. CUT.

Tony Brown was a solid find this year he was a solid player vs the run and pass and made some nice plays hopefully he keeps improving.

Laboy and Odom neither have been impressive thus far in their careers and this year is their last chance so show up or get out.

Starks needs to show up this year as well he's still young but he needs to produce or might not be coming back. Hopefully he plays up to his potential.

Big Al needs to step up and play like a pro-bowler like he says he always will and never fully does. Is said to be in top shape so this could be his year.

KVB a very solid player vs. the pass and above average vs.the run but needs some help.

Adibi, McElveen, Conover, Savage, and like I said Long will be cut.

DE's - Laboy, Odom, Ford, KVB. Hopefully we can add KGB to that.

DT's - Haynesworth, Starks, Brown, Johnson, Mahelona.

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

If the D-Line can stay healthy they will be pretty good. As long as Haynesworth can step up though. We need someone other than KVB to have a good year.

9. LaBoy was a good pass rusher 2 years ago. Last year he just was forced to play too much (and as the Tennessean said today, he added too much weight for his role). If Odom can stay in the lineup and keep LaBoy from being overworked, he'll be effective again.

As for Odom, we've never really seen what he is capable of. He needs to be healthy and maybe he'll surprise us.

10. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Yeah it used to be that Laboy was like the 3rd down rusher but now that he has gained weight his role might be changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar