Our new coach is starting off on the right track

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titantrusince82, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titantrusince82

titantrusince82 I'm down with the Titans for better or worse

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Figuring out the differences between new Tennessee coach Mike Munchak and the man he replaced is pretty easy.

Just listen.

Under Munchak, the Titans warm out before practice during training camp to the sounds of Lady Gaga's "Poker Face," Bruce Springsteen and even Kool Moe Dee's "Wild Wild West. The music is turned off once the Titans get down to work, and then the speakers are cranked back up at the end.

Titans receiver Nate Washington jokes he couldn't stretch out the first time he heard the music because he was so busy dancing.

"He's shaking it up in the proper way," Washington said of the new coach. "He's not whipping us with the whip, but he's patting us on the back, and a lot of guys are pushing themselves harder to work for him. I appreciate the things he's done so far in the organization thus far of us being here and the personality that he has."

Munchak was hired in February to replace Jeff Fisher, who left the Titans in late January after more than 16 full seasons as head coach. With the NFL lockout, Munchak didn't get to work with his players until last week when the new labor deal finally was reached. So he stayed busy planning, preparing and sprucing up the team's headquarters.

"I've been waiting six months to start coaching," Munchak said.

Munchak revamped the coaching staff, keeping six assistants from Fisher's staff. He set up his training camp schedules, which he had to rework last week after seeing the NFL's new rules that turned the two-a-day sessions he wanted to run into morning walkthroughs and one full practice instead.

In the building, he had drawings of former Houston Oilers reframed and displayed in a repainted lunch room to remind current players of the relocated franchise's lengthy history. The players' lounge got new chairs, and he even ripped out seats in the auditorium where the team meets.

The Titans didn't realize how much Munchak changed until they reported for training camp. That's when they found out that all players, even veterans, would be spending camp at a nearby hotel instead of sleeping in their own beds as Fisher had allowed.

Safety Michael Griffin hadn't really ever talked to Munchak until after he was promoted to head coach in February before the lockout. He said Munchak wanted to take his Titans away for training camp, which the lockout prevented.

"Right now it's almost like being at a real camp somewhere different just all being in the hotel and not being able to go home ...," Griffin said. "That's one of the main differences and having some organization around here. We have rules and guidelines, and I think that's part of being a good football team is having the control of your team."

Right guard Jake Scott, who had Munchak as his position coach the past three seasons, said players will have no problem following Munchak's logic.

"Everything he does makes sense. You can see the purpose behind it," Scott said. "Very rarely is he going to have us do something where you're like, 'Why are we doing this?' Everything he does is with a purpose, and it's usually pretty easy to see the purpose."

When the Titans reported for camp Friday, Munchak played a video for the players introducing them to their new coaches. The video included photos of Munchak from his Hall of Fame career with the Oilers along with each coach on the staff. Griffin, who played in college at Texas, said he noticed special teams assistant Alan Lowry once quarterbacked the Longhorns.

"His resume speaks for itself as does the rest of the coaching staff," Griffin said. "They all played the game before. It's not just somebody saying do this, do that. ... I feel very confident about this upcoming season."

For Munchak himself, he's been coaching offensive linemen since 1994. He's still trying to settle into what the head coach does during practices and said he didn't know half of what went on during practice until after the first full session.

"It was fun watching the coaches coach a little bit, watching their techniques and seeing their interaction with the players and getting to watch the different positions and seeing how guys are working and their work ethic," Munchak said.

He even grabbed the microphone Sunday night just as practice got started, thanking fans for coming out. Later, he sent all the players to the fence to sign autographs for fans.

And why the soundtrack? Munchak said they saw how energized children got with the music playing during a charity event in June, so he decided to keep playing music for both players and fans in training camp to help break up the quiet. Munchak admits that most of the music might not be on his iPod but his daughter's.

"But it's a good beat, so that's all you want when you're trying, when we started getting through these dog two-a-days," Munchak said.

---

• High Five High Five x 4
  2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Munch!
    Music is a nice touch..

3. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I love it. I'm really excited for this team with Coach Munchak leading the way. After hearing everyone's interviews it sounds like there is more emphasis on discipline. We have a lot to be excited about. We've got ourselves a coach who is assuring his team that he believes in them and that he expects them to work hard.

4. STW Chris

STW Chris Starter

I'm incredibly excited about the Titans under Munchak. Usually even by this point of the season people here would be ****ing and moaning about things Fisher was doing. Munchak is mixing things up and it seems that people are believing in what he wants to do.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

So far so good. I'm content with Munchak's time as HC.

6. Blue Gorilla

Blue Gorilla will play Safety for food

Excited for this season, but hoping our management and fanbase is prepared to have patience with Munchak, as these kinds of things typically take years to develop fully.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Beaudreaux

Beaudreaux Starter

"Right now it's almost like being at a real camp somewhere different just all being in the hotel and not being able to go home ...," Griffin said. "That's one of the main differences and having some organization around here. We have rules and guidelines, and I think that's part of being a good football team is having the control of your team."

This part stood out, was Fisher too loose with his team? They did show lack of discipline on the field at times.....

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Some of the comments made are interesting. Makes me wonder about if they're comparing to Fisher's tenure.

9. Blue Gorilla

Blue Gorilla will play Safety for food

I was thinking the same thing. I always though Fisher had control of things and wasn't too lax. Guess that's not quite accurate...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar