Pacman release scenarios - $$$ and cap implications

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Chem, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chem

Chem Camp Fodder

This thread is for discussing the financial implications of releasing Pacman from the team.

Example: I recall reading the Titans would take a $5.8m hit on the salary cap if they cut him before the season.

Do the Titans have any other incentive to cut him at a particular time? What would be the difference between releasing him today, and releasing him the week before game 1 of the regular season? Is he due any roster bonuses? Incentives? Would the cap hit be the same?

Do league rules give any particular incentive to cutting him at a certain date?

I'm guessing that if he is released, it will be as late as possible so that other teams can benefit less from signing him.

2. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

The team will not realease him if he can just go and sign with another team. My question is if he gets suspended by the league for a year, can we get some type of approval to cut him without taking the cap hit?

3. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

And isn't there a financial advantage to the Titans if the NFL first imposes punishment, instead of the team?

EDIT: I may have just heard the answer to this on 106.7. The statement was made that the team doesn't have to pay his salary during the time of an NFL suspension. There was no mention about any bonuses.

4. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

In the NFL you get paid after each game, the check is in your locker room. When you're suspended, you're not allowed anywhere near the facility and cannot pickup your paycheck. :)

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

There was a detailed article on this last week in the paper.

The thing we don't know (and I haven't read yet) is what clauses are in his contract which might force him to give back a certain amount of money if he is convicted of a felony.

6. Chem

Chem Camp Fodder

Um, okay, then what was the answer? I'm really curious as to how the new Titans GM will play this one out. Probably hold on to Pac as long as we can afford, and then cut him.

7. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

A guy at work who was an ex Jet WR (late 80s) said he didn't pick up his pacycheck at his locker. He had to stand in line to get it.

And I've heard others say it as well. The term "backing up a truck" is something that gets thrown around.

But hey, it could have changed.

8. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

There will be no releasing of PacMan, so this thread should be closed

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

10. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar