Pair of Titans making most of last shots

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Every locker room needs some long-shot, last-chance guys in the mix. They appreciate things differently from a high draft pick or a pricey free agent, and I think their presence can be a big factor in team chemistry and in reminding other guys who didn't have it so tough just how good life in the locker room is.

The Titans have two guys who fit the bill on the defensive line, where tackle Tony Brown has turned into a solid starter next to Albert Haynesworth and end Dave Ball has helped the team survive a stretch without Kyle Vanden Bosch.

Both guys have had moments when they weren't sure they were going to be able to prove they were NFL-caliber players.

"The realization, the experience of being out there without a job, it's not something everybody should go through," coach Jeff Fisher said. "But when you get players like that, they don't take anything for granted and they just work.

"I think to an extent most good players and all the great players have one thing in common, it's fear of failure. And these guys, not that they've failed, but they understand that the opportunities don't always come along. They got second chances and made the most of them."

Ball was a fourth-round draft pick out of UCLA by San Diego in 2004. He played six games and broke a bone in his foot. He played two more times for the Chargers in 2005, then got dropped to the practice squad. The Jets signed him away and he played three games for New York, then 10 more in 2006. The following year he was in Carolina, but got cut by the Panthers before the season.

He worked out for about seven different teams during the season, including the Titans, kept himself in shape and hoped the phone would keep ringing. Ultimately he signed a futures deal with the Titans on Jan. 3, the same day they lost to the Chargers in a playoff game in San Diego.

Here are the best quotes I gleaned from a chat I had with Ball about his story this week:

"Last year the only contribution I was having was getting worked out by the teams who would fly me in and getting a free meal in the cafeteria. The Titans gave me a great opportunity and I just want to be able to have their back."

"In my mind I was done at the end of last season. Each game I was thinking 'OK, there are three games, left, hopefully I will get picked up here. OK, there are two, there is one, the season is over.' It was a long process just because I had all day to think about it, to just get bitter about it. The reason I am here is my wife, Carrie. I gave up on myself but she never gave up on me. She wanted me to keep playing, so I just had to follow orders. Her orders were, 'Give it another shot, you're good, I know you're good, I have 100 percent faith in you.'"

"Really I didn't know I'd made the team until the phone didn't ring on cut day. I had a good idea that I'd played well enough to make it, but you never know. But honestly last year [in Carolina] I thought I'd played well enough to make it and it was a total shock when I got the call."

"I'm so grateful right now. This is just night and day from last year. Last year I was sitting at home, bitter, frustrated, extremely down on myself. I was training by myself."

Brown's story is a good one too. He's from Chattanooga and played at Memphis. He went from an undrafted free agent with Carolina to Miami to San Francisco to out of the league in 2005 to back to Carolina. He was waiting for another chance after the Panthers cut him again, when Haynesworth got suspended for five games and six weeks for stomping Andre Gurode in the face and the Titans needed help.

"[Ball's] story is awesome and I'm part of that group too," Brown said. "We don't take anything for granted... I understand the struggle he's been through. It was tough at first, but I put that pride to the side and I just got back focused and through if it was meant to be it was going to happen. All I need is that one opportunity. I was like, 'If I get it again, I'm never going to take it for granted again.'

"I wouldn't say I was close to giving up. But to be honest, it didn't really matter to me, I've got two degrees, so I was like 'If it doesn't go this way, then that's what I went to school for. I kept working out, kept my faith and it worked out for me. But I had a couple jobs lined up screening the kids at a juvenile detention center."

More...

2. KingTitan

KingTitan aka CRONUS

These stories are great testimonies to perseverance and faith. Tony and Dave have persevered and someone had faith in them. Two powerful components of success! Haven't many of us yearned for someone to believe in us? It's such a powerful, moving thing when someone does. The Titans have gone beyond the simple hire and hope he works out process. Instead they look carefully at who they bring in and then they work WITH him to reach his full potential.

Tony and Dave aren't alone in this, of course there's Kyle also. I can easily imagine that some of the newer acquisitions might be in the same situation and we don't know about it. We only see how poor they're playing. We're not very patient with them, we want success and we want it NOW. Those that come to mind are P. Williams and C. Henry. Maybe there's others like... McCareins, Gage, Kearse????

Player assessment and development has the Titans on an upward swing towards the big prize :trophy:
    and lives no longer in the dumps!! :thumb:

P.S. - this gives me hope for Vince! :winker:

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Maybe the best thing about this article is Tony Brown's last quote.

I think it's great that he doesn't take that education for granted like so many athletes do now. Education is a great thing because it's something you can never lose. It's great to see an athlete who respects what that degree is worth. I just think that really says something about Tony Brown.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. KingTitan

KingTitan aka CRONUS

Sir WP are you U of Mass, U of Missouri, U of Miss, U of Maine, U of Minn, U of Montana, U of Maryland, U of Miami, U of Mich, or U of Memp?

:tj: "Stay in school, don't be a fool!"

5. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I'm a freshman at the University of Memphis.

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Good read there :thumb:

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

it kinda makes you wonder if Tony ever properly thanked Al for stomping on Andre Gurode's face.

8. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

Brown would be out of football if it wasn't for big al.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar