Palmer Out!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dgup76, Nov 26, 2012.

?
  1. It will make them significantly better.

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. They will be a little better.

23 vote(s)
    56.1%
  3. It will have no impact.

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. They'll actually play worse.

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I think it is easy to see how Gray is still around. In the 2 games since the edict from Bud came down the defense has allowed only 27 points and has had 9 sacks, 4 Ints, and 1 forced fumble. You can see that the play calling has changed with more blitzes from the Lbers.

Meanwhile the offense is still struggling to be consistent. Not putting the ball in the endzone and having too many mental mistakes.

I like this move a bunch. If you want to keep your team and coaches focused for a stretch run then handing out the pink slips will do that.

I do think that the loss last year to the Colts and then this loss to the Jags is a damning sign for Munchak's ability to motivate and get the players focused. Those are games you just can't lose.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

According to Jared Cook, "everyone loves Loggains in the locker room".

Loggains is also responsible for helping Locker and the no-huddle.. perhaps we see more of it? I sure hope so.

3. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

TJ- I agree with you about the fact that if the offensive players had actually executed better then Palmer would have his job. The problem is that this lack of execution has been a continual problem all year. Besides the lack of execution our offense really has no identity. Are we a spread the field and make the defense play in space sort of team or are we a double TE power running team. We do neither consistently well which is a major problem.

I am not convinced that this is all on Bud. Do you think that Bud told Palmer to move up to the press box? I don't. I think that was a Munch decision and showed that he wasn't happy with the way the games were being called. To me that was a signal that Munch didn't think Palmer was doing a good job. I think he was very unhappy with the red zone play calling and sent him packing.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Not saying he is good. Just probably better than Gray. And he at least has experience which Loggains does not.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I think it is a testament to how weak this coaching staff is that Loggains was the most qualified to take over as OC.

6. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Another thing about Palmer's move to the press box is that it could be an indictment of his relationship with the players. If his relationship with the players really was rocky then maybe Munch felt it was best to separate them. I think maybe we all over looked the significance of what Palmer to the press box meant.

7. Serjio

Serjio Starter

One down, two to go!

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I like the move mainly because it shows that the team (whether it was Bud or Munch or whoever) is not going to accept losing, and heads will roll if it continues to happen. And I would rather it happen now because we get to see what Loggains has got, and we will be the 1st team in the market for an OC if we want one rather than the last this time.

As far as people complaining about promoting from within .. what do you expect mid-season? If Loggains comes in and there is little or no improvement and they stick with him next year anyway (or don't attempt to upgrade) then you have a valid complaint, but not at this point.

I also don't understand where the "Munch is too loyal to his guys" is coming from. When he took over at HC he immediately fired a lot of the staff. He fired some positional coaches this past offseason too. He has only been HC for 1.5 years ... that is not enough time to see how 'loyal' he is to his coaches, that is just giving them a chance.

I do agree that this could buy Munch some more time, possibly even a contract extension. I wouldn't mind giving him another shot with some better coordinators. Although even if he does get an extension, that doesn't mean he can't get axed before his contract is up anyway.

Palmer had way too much talent on the O that he didn't properly utilize. He seemed to have never heard of the concept of getting a young QB into a rhythm early in games, and after hearing all offseason about how we are going to spread it out on O, we get very little of that. Glad we made the move

9. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Titans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer was sitting in his office at 8:30 p.m. Monday night when his boss walked in and delivered the news.

Coach Mike Munchak told Palmer he wanted to go in a different direction.

So what did Palmer do immediately after getting fired?

“I gave him his Christmas present, said Merry Christmas, and then left,’’ Palmer said Tuesday morning. ”There was nothing I could do at that point. The decision was made. I said, “OK” And I just left it at that.”

Palmer, who was hired prior to last season, wasn’t pleased with the decision. And he obviously doesn’t feel the team’s struggles on offense this season can all be traced back to him. The 21-year NFL coaching veteran said the Titans are simply in a transition period with a second-year quarterback in Jake Locker, and several other young players.

What’s played out this season has been the result, he said.

The Titans, now 4-7, and ranked 24th in the NFL in total offense, and 29th in first downs per game.

“I think when you break a quarterback in, you are going to be in a situation where you are going to have your ups and downs,’’ Palmer said “Young quarterbacks, you have to go through this period. They just don’t step in and become great quarterbacks. It takes time to develop. And Kenny Britt is not 100 percent. I just think there’s more issues than people want to admit to.

“Is it an easy process? No, it is not an easy process. It is something you just have to get through.

“But I wish them luck… I respect those guys on the staff. Several of them are my friends and I hope it all works out for them. They have families and children, and I hope it works out for them.”

Palmer has been replaced by Dowell Loggains, who previously served as quarterbacks coach.

“I thought he was doing a good job this year,’’ Palmer said of Loggains, who’s in his seventh season with the team. “Munch has known him for a longer period of time and they have a good feel for each other. But the issues are still there. I wish him luck.”

Palmer joined the Titans prior to last season after spending the 2010 season as head coach of the Hartford Colonials in the United Football League. Prior to that he had NFL stops with the Giants, Cowboys, Texans, Jaguars, Patriots, Browns and Oilers. He was head coach of the Cleveland Browns in 1999-2000.

A year ago the Titans finished 17th in the NFL in offense, but the team posted the fourth highest passing yardage total (3,923 net yards) in franchise history. Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck recorded the third-highest passing total (3,571) of his career and five receivers (Nate Washington, Jared Cook, Damian Williams, Lavelle Hawkins and Marc Mariani) set career highs.

The offense has sputtered more this season, however, as the Titans have dealt with Locker’s shoulder injury, and shuffling quarterbacks in and out of the lineup. Locker is 2-4 in his first four career starts. Running back Chris Johnson got off to a slow start before finally getting going. He’s now sixth in the NFL with 942 rushing yards. But the team hasn’t been consistent through the first 11 games.

In Sunday’s loss to the Jaguars, the Titans managed just one touchdown and four field goals. The team had a chance to win at the end, but Locker threw an interception. Prior to that, receivers Washington and Williams just missed scoring touchdowns.

“I feel we put the players in a position to make plays, and at that point it falls on the players,’’ Palmer said. “We had a chance to drive and win on Sunday, and then we throw an interception. Well, that is part of a young quarterback. You learn from that experience and hopefully next time he’ll take us down and put us in field goal position. And you have to live through that.

“… Mike had to do what he thought was best for the team. I have no regrets. We were 9-7 last year and all those kids had the most catches of their careers. Kendall has a bunch of catches this year as a rookie, and Chris is back on track. It is just hard when (against the Jaguars) 8 of the 12 possessions start inside the 20 and you have a rookie quarterback and you think you are going to go down and score a bunch of points.”

Palmer has already cleaned out his office at Baptist Sports Park.

He said he’s considering keeping a home in Nashville.

“I enjoyed my time here, I really did,’’ Palmer said. “Some things happen for a reason, and you never know what the reasons are.”

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I don't think firing Palmer will instantly make us better. I mean do people really believe after losing a coach that players are all of a sudden happy, and perform better?

If anything I think there's some chance of us taking a step back. All depends on what Dowell Loggains knows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar